Author Topic: Help needed in understanding a photo RAF  (Read 3977 times)

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed in understanding a photo RAF
« Reply #18 on: Friday 07 October 16 17:08 BST (UK) »
When I was at RAF Duxford I was discussing WW2 equipment with some other service colleagues.
They ventured the observation that German equipment in aircraft was "built to last"   but  they failed to take into account that much of the equipment would Not last very long in battle conditions.  The British equipment took that  life expectancy into  account .
Aircraft Battle Damage Repairs is an important discipline  in the ability of Air Forces  to survive and Win.

Note to the Original poster:  Your Grandfather performed an important part in an organisation that played a very important part in WW2, you can be very proud of his contribution.
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 07 October 16 17:36 BST (UK) »
They can identify if his notifications are turned off and then send him a PM.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 12 October 16 10:22 BST (UK) »
The op, Steve/elfinblues, started this topic in 2014 and Treetotal resurrected it recently.

The op should have received an email notification of the 1st reply but won't have received anymore if it was missed because notifications are set to "instantly but only for the 1st reply"

I see MaxD has already sent a pm on the 7th after Steve was last online on the 6th.

Steve/elfinblues isn't a prolific poster here and may have things going on in his day to day life which have, unfortuately, prevented his return to us again not realising there has been a flurry of activity on this topic.

I know you are all eager to know what his thoughts are but maybe send another pm at the weekend if he doesn't return rather than bombard him with pms between now and then.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 12 October 16 10:23 BST (UK) »
he has several topics that he has not returned to..unless of course he is not getting email notifications.

The notifications are set up and are going out to elfinblues, maybe they are on holiday at the moment ???

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 12 October 16 13:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you Mesdames, wise counsel indeed.  I shall wait with patience.

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline elfinblues

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 18 October 16 13:37 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone. I'm the original poster, and thank you all for your thoughts and comments. My apologies for being "out of the loop" but after my original post slipped "under the radar" I hadn't checked back on it since. And as Dawnsh correctly assumed, life is busy for me, so my opportunities to come on board the forum are usually few and far between. I squeeze my family history activities in between my day-to-day job, looking after our two young children, and all the other usual responsibilities that come with having a young family. So, huge thanks to you all for your comments and my apologies for having been absent from the discussion. Please know that this is the result of circumstance rather than rudeness.

I'll try and respond to all the queries that have arisen.

My grandfather's dates and places of service include Kemble, Innsworth, Penarth between 1940 and early 1942, after he joined up and was serving as an Accounts Clerk. From early 1942 to May 1943, he was undergoing wireless training, based at Bishopbriggs and Bolton. Thereafter there was, I understand, a short transit period in Blackpool before he went by troopship to India and on to Burma to serve as a wireless mechanic.

My grandfather was 26 when the war began.

Scouseboy - His trade before the war was 'accountant', which is why he initially served as an accounts clerk. He soon tired of it, though, and wanted something more challenging - hence the training to become a wireless mechanic. He was, I believe, the exception rather than the rule in being accepted onto the demanding wireless training course without any background in radio or a university degree, but he was an intelligent man and very capable. After the war he went back to being an accountant for a while, but within a few years was heading the sales division of a pest control firm! A varied life. And thanks very much for your comments about being proud of my grandfather - I am, very. He was always frank about how he was lucky and "got off lightly" in comparison to many of his comrades in the Far East, but having since done some reading about the role of the RAF in Burma and the role played by wireless mechanics, I now have a better appreciation of the role he would have played.

So, to the photos themselves. Am I correct in thinking that consensus is that the larger, bottom photo is likely to be a photo marking his "intake's" graduation from basic training and that the smaller, top photo is probably one that signals his graduation either from trade training as an accounts clerk or as a WM? With my comparatively little knowledge, I would say that this sounds perfectly probable. My only doubt stems from the rather insalubrious-looking background for the top photo - in front of a row of houses would seem an odd setting for a formal graduation photo (but perhaps not, given the situation and the times?).

With best wishes to all,
Steve

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 18 October 16 13:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you for getting back to us.

Blackpool was a big centre for both the RAF. And the US Air Force. And also aircraft factories in Lancashire.
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline GMCT_archivist

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 18 October 16 13:49 BST (UK) »
Steve - re the "unsalubrious" background - it's very similar to one of the photos we have in the museum, where the orphans were lined up outside the photographer's shop window.  If that is the case, it then begs the question of why didn't they use the station photographer....

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 18 October 16 14:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you for getting back to us Steve and for the interesting additional information.  Yes, I believe the consensus is large group basic, smaller group later trade course which, while not being able to put day and date to them, fits in quite nicely somewhere in the early part of your grandfather's career. 
You first posted in 2014, one wonders when you would have received an answer if Treetotal hadn't spotted it in 2016 :) 

Alls well that.....

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia