Author Topic: Germany - Researchers undertaking research in the Deutsche Dienststelle -WASt  (Read 1547 times)

Offline SydneyAuss

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi everyone,

I was going to ask if anyone knows of researchers/professional genealogists in Germany who can undertake research/can assist with a request of WWII files on the foreign POWs who were in Germany custody?

Apparently there are a residual 1 500 000 files on foreign prisoners of war held at the Deutsche Dienststelle -WASt - in Berlin. I am trying to locate the German created prisoner of war file for my late grandfather ( if it exists).

Would anyone be able to recommend a competent researcher/professional genealogist who could assist in Berlin?

Kind Regards,

Anthony

Offline Rudolf H B

• RootsChat Veteran
  • His gt grandchildren KIA on both sides in WW1!
    • View Profile
Re: Germany - Researchers undertaking research in the Deutsche Dienststelle -WASt
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 June 14 10:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Anthony,

- You can send a request form for a Tracing request direct to WASt.
http://www.d-d-wast.de/frame_e.htm (English version)

- I can ask a friend of mine.

Another chance to check?: International Tracing Service, Arolsen, Germany

https://www.its-arolsen.org/

Kind regards
Rudolf

WASt: "According to this we are not allowed to convey related data of surviving combatants to private persons or institution outside the public area, unless the person in question can give permission. It is also not possible to provide informations on fallen or deceased soldiers without permission of the next of kin."
Goldschmidt; Gregory, Maude, Nancy Price, Welby (UK),
Goldschmidt > Goldsmith, Benetta, Bloom, Gillis, McDonough, Moses, Wheaton (Australia / NZ),
Spatz & Henderson (Greater London),
Herbert Spatz MC > H. Spence MC (Salisbury),
Spatz > Spence, Nichols. Kidd (Bromley > Manchester South, India),
Spatz > Spaatz (Boyertown, PA - USA),
Engel & Joly (Philadelphia, PA - USA).
Kummerer (London, Chicago & Australia).

WW1 - Cousins Killed in Action in the Australian, English, French & German Armies

Offline SydneyAuss

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Germany - Researchers undertaking research in the Deutsche Dienststelle -WASt
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 June 14 10:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Rudolf,

Thank you for your reply. I sent a tracing request to WASt to the site you mentioned last May (i.e. May 2013) and have not heard anything back from them at all. I have also contacted the International Tracing Service, and they were unable to find any records (this was expected as my late grandfather was Greek Cypriot - not Jewish).

I think WASt may have completely forgotten about my request, and it seems I would have to contact a German military researcher regarding this matter (I'm not sure who would be able to help).

If your friend knows anything regarding the matter it would be nice if you could ask him.

Kind Regards,

Anthony