Author Topic: Scullions of Ballyscullion West  (Read 2120 times)

Offline pansypetal

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Scullions of Ballyscullion West
« on: Monday 09 June 14 19:51 BST (UK) »
I have just found a marriage certificate for my 2 x great grandparents John Scullion who married Jane Scullion on the 10th of February 1868. John’s father was also John Scullion and Jane’s father was Thomas Scullion.  I wanted to try and find out if they were actually cousins........but can’t find any details to take me further back than their fathers  names.
I did have the idea to try and track them thru the Griffith Valuation Revisions and see if I could any further relations names by the amendments to the revisions. On the 1911 census John, Jane and children are listed as living at Residents of a house 9 in Ballyscullion West (Bellaghy, Londonderry) so started with the Ballyscullion West revision for this period and instantly found an entry for a John Scullion for plot 6a and a Patrick Scullion for 6b.....but when I looked nearly everyone in Ballyscullion is actually called Scullion. So I can’t trace the revision back thru the books as I don’t know which one is right. Does anybody have any ideas or suggestions how I can try and get further back to see if John and James where related. Many thanks

Offline Bannerman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Scullions of Ballyscullion West
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 June 14 00:56 BST (UK) »
I can think of softer walls to beat my head off !

According to the 1831 Census heads of household, the following are the occurrences of the name Scullion in Ballyscullion West. Frequency is once unless otherwise stated.

Andrew
Daniel
Henry
Hugh x2
James x7
John x2
Michael x4
Nicholas x2
Patrick x4
Peter
Philip
Simeon
Thomas
Widow x2
William

Best regards
Derry / Londonderry - McCready, McGruddy, Carlin, McShane, Wilson, Cleary, Crockett
Castlederg - Baxter, Wilson
Inishowen - Callaghan, Duffy, Blieu, Grant, Coyle
Delta County, MI, USA - Cleary
Boston - Ballou
Nova Scotia - Ballou

"All lookups are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"