Author Topic: Suffolk parish registers to go online?  (Read 54354 times)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Re: Suffolk parish registers to go online?
« Reply #72 on: Saturday 30 September 17 16:49 BST (UK) »
I went to a find you family event today in Ipswich and they were selling cd's of parish records of each district for £15 each. I did ask when these will be going online and they did say some will be going on Find my Past .I got a little excited and asked when but they did say only some will as the more that are out online the less they will sell ?
Did say that seems a little unfair for all the people that have Suffolk roots but don't live local have no access to all these records .
So some will be going on Find My Past how many and when they didn't seem to know

This will have been the Suffolk Family History Society? 

They sell there CDs of transcripts for about that price and they already have a number of transcripts on FindMyPast.

The question is when Suffolk Records Office will get the originals digitised so people don't have to rely on transcriptions.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Trevor Rix

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Saturday 30 September 17 17:20 BST (UK) »
I agree with smudwhisk. Suffolk Family History Society volunteers have put a lot of time and effort into transcribing many Suffolk parish registers and making those transcriptions available direct from SFHS on CD or some on Findmypast. For that they are to be congratulated.

But it is high quality colour images scanned from the original parish registers that we really need, accessible online anywhere in the world 24/7 on Findmypast or Ancestry. Many other counties have done just that, the most recent being Derbyshire on Ancestry a few days ago. If other counties can do it why not Suffolk?

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Saturday 30 September 17 17:37 BST (UK) »
But it is high quality colour images scanned from the original parish registers that we really need, accessible online anywhere in the world 24/7 on Findmypast or Ancestry. Many other counties have done just that, the most recent being Derbyshire on Ancestry a few days ago.

As somebody pointed out the other day on here, it looks like most (not all) of the Derbyshire parish registers on ancestry are from digitized microfilms. And therefore are not new scans, nor are they in colour!
They obviously have done an excellent job with them.

Offline Trevor Rix

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Saturday 30 September 17 17:44 BST (UK) »
Sods law dictated that the first Derbyshire image I looked at as a test was in colour. All of those that I have picked at random just now are good quality black and white.

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 16:45 BST (UK) »
Seems to always be the counties where you have a lot of ancestors are the ones "coming soon" or "in the pipeline" when we have to be prepared for a long wait. As genealogy is growing faster than ever surely the demand to digitise them is getting higher. As I said Suffolk records online are fairly sparse and many parishes not covered on IGI or FindMyPast. Whereas Essex is getting better by the day thanks to FreeREG and The Genealogist.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Trevor Rix

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Thursday 12 October 17 12:41 BST (UK) »
SEAX aka Essex Ancestors has almost complete coverage of coverage of Essex original parish registers as high quality digital scans. Lots of wills too. Just brilliant!

Essex 10/10
Suffolk 1/10

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Thursday 12 October 17 14:18 BST (UK) »
One downside is SEAX Essex records are browse only. But FreeREG is making up for that as many transcriptions are from SEAX.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Thursday 12 October 17 14:57 BST (UK) »
One downside is SEAX Essex records are browse only. But FreeREG is making up for that as many transcriptions are from SEAX.

Yes but transcripts are only as good as the person who makes them and errors can creep in.  Hence, its often better to browse the registers anyway just in case.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Thursday 12 October 17 15:09 BST (UK) »
I'd rather have a few garbled surnames than the records not being online. As said we can then go back further on our mutual ancestors the Otleys and Deeks and see if there is a link to Peggy Mitchell Barbara Windsor. Small chance but still a chance.

You'll find a lot of us have done that, Carol. I got rather excited when the name Izzard popped up on my tree, but alas, no connection. Barbara Windsor is my current target. :)

And mine, thank to our mutual Lucking, Otley and Deeks rellies. I traced our Deeks line to Isaac Deeks born c1675 who wed in Glemsford

Coombs, IF your Isaac Deeks in Stanstead was from Glemsford, he can only be the son of John and Anna Deeks.  The Isaac Deeks baptised the same year to Isaac Deeks and Mary Gardener was resident in Glemsford when his uncle Thomas Gardener made his Will in 1707.  The Will specifically states that Isaac was of Glemsford and his sisters Grace and Susanna also were left bequests.  The other Isaac only had a suriving brother, his other two siblings died as infants.

There are, though, other Isaac Deeks around the area at the time.