Author Topic: Suffolk parish registers to go online?  (Read 54309 times)

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
Re: Suffolk parish registers to go online?
« Reply #153 on: Saturday 18 September 21 12:27 BST (UK) »
It is disappointing when they release some new records for a county but you then find they are already available, or the parishes you want are not yet included.

But as I said, thanks to those Suffolk FHS downloadable CD's it has opened up doors to records for Suffolk not yet available on Ancestry, FindMyPast, FamilySearch or The Genealogist, or even FreeREG.

I still wish Suffolk Archives would do what Essex has done with SEAX and made their records viewable, if not indexed.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline CLP04893824

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: Tuesday 04 January 22 17:22 GMT (UK) »
Coming late to this chat, having spent the holiday period looking in vain for three Suffolk baptisms c1810 and a marriage.

Does anyone know if anywhere there is a detailed mapping, parish by parish, of which platform holds each record type (whether indexes or images) and for which exact periods?  Usually I rely on the Family Search parish pages and their tabulations to find where best to go.

As others have commented, it's really confusing. For example Orford (one I'm focusing on) is for some reason missing in the otherwise long list of parish baptisms indexes on FindMyPast provided by the Suffolk Family History Society, here: https://www.findmypast.co.uk/articles/suffolk-baptism-index-place-list 

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: Wednesday 05 January 22 11:15 GMT (UK) »
I can't answer all of your query but a suggestion as to why parishes may be missing from FindMyPast.

My interest in Hertfordshire registers which are on FindMyPast is the village of Pirton, which is not on FindMyPast.

They have their own parish website with their own parish transcriptions and appear not to have 'given permission' for their records to be on the FindMyPast website.

Could this be similar for Orford?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline CLP04893824

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: Wednesday 05 January 22 12:32 GMT (UK) »
Yes, thanks, that makes sense. And maybe different permissions granted or withheld depending on whether it was at parish level originally (eg) by the Family Search/LDS people or centrally held Bishops Transcripts and then later transcribers too. 

The good people at the Suffolk Family History Society seem to have done a massive job indexing them too and they do list out the parishes, although still not 100% clear if gaps eg missing years. And then that is split across multiple deaneries, by different record types and in several time ranges, so the cost becomes prohibitive for what is a fishing expedition.  Hence trying to pinpoint the search.

Offline Dyingout

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Father Charles in his hockey playing days
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: Wednesday 05 January 22 13:33 GMT (UK) »
As to why parish registers are not digitised.
Even though the records maybe with the local Cathedral. or local records office they remain the property of the church in the parish, therefore the church has the right to refuse their digitising and publishing.
How do I know this a friend is the treasurer of such a church. The Vicar and Churchwardens still refuse this
Dow/Dowe Norfolk and Suffolk
Mulley/Wilden Suffolk
Loome/lombe Norfolk

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: Wednesday 05 January 22 18:24 GMT (UK) »
Coming late to this chat, having spent the holiday period looking in vain for three Suffolk baptisms c1810 and a marriage.

Does anyone know if anywhere there is a detailed mapping, parish by parish, of which platform holds each record type (whether indexes or images) and for which exact periods?  Usually I rely on the Family Search parish pages and their tabulations to find where best to go.

As others have commented, it's really confusing. For example Orford (one I'm focusing on) is for some reason missing in the otherwise long list of parish baptisms indexes on FindMyPast provided by the Suffolk Family History Society, here: https://www.findmypast.co.uk/articles/suffolk-baptism-index-place-list

I have ancestors from Orford, and the parish is included in the Suffolk Burial index 1538-1900 but is it only Orford baptisms you are after? If so then I also cannot seem to find any online index. I have Coggeshall, Beversham and Coe ancestors from there.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline CLP04893824

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: Wednesday 05 January 22 19:02 GMT (UK) »
but is it only Orford baptisms you are after? If so then I also cannot seem to find any online index.

Many thanks - yes, there are three Orford births from later censuses - Hannah Hunt 1808, John Hunt 1811 and Marian Hunt 1814 - which aren't showing up as baptisms, nor a linked marriage perhaps a few years before for presumed father John Hunt and possible mother Mary. (Of course that might be at her village, not Orford.) And as ever there might be some child deaths to extend the time frame.

That's the nub of it. I'm trying to help another family, arising from some local history elsewhere, so this is well off my known territory.

Trouble is, there are several John Hunts in the area at the time, our one probably ends up in Great Cornard, death in 1839 - but tying that back needs the baptisms and a marriage. Given the indexing and image gaps, any and all insights much appreciated!

I was tempted to get the SFHS publication(s) but without knowing the records are included, I'd just be wasting their money

Offline The Yokel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: Wednesday 05 January 22 19:59 GMT (UK) »
There is this Hannah at Hollesley, 5 miles from Orford (as the crow flies). Family Search

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:J3DW-KPT

Offline CLP04893824

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: Wednesday 05 January 22 21:54 GMT (UK) »
alas this Hannah is 'spurious', and no siblings. Thankfully, attached on open access was the complete 200 year sweep of records (BMD) for Hollesley, which included a family of Hunts with a John, so that's carefully noted in case it comes into the picture. Much appreciated.