Author Topic: Where in Foleshill was my Grandmother born in 1901?  (Read 8206 times)

Offline Graham Whitehead

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Where in Foleshill was my Grandmother born in 1901?
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 04 August 15 14:33 BST (UK) »
If they were Baptists there would be no child christening.  Maybe the records of Salem or Union Place Baptist Churches in nearby Longford would have records of baptism as an adult.
Warwicks: Whitehead, Allcock, Atkins, Bayley, Beacham, Bilson, Brooks, Cleaver,Farmer,Gilks, Lucas, Kendall, Oliver, Pickard, Shilton, Underhill.
Lincs: Kendall, Clark, Morley,Vincent, Withers, Barlow,Dawson.
Leics. Vincent
Notts: Bardill, Bugg, Morley, Winfield
Dublin: Brooks, Flood.

Offline Lisajj

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Exhall Colliery & Brickworks - very rare photo
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 20 August 15 22:31 BST (UK) »
Baptists do have a form of christening/baptism called a Dedication. They may also have a cradle roll.
I didn't find anything at Warwick (I went a bit later than planned), but it was more of a lack of having time to look properly - sorry!
Johnson, Crankshaw, Burdett, Shaw, Dawson/Dulson, Whitebread/Whitbread, Drane, Hyett, Holtaway, Thompson, Bodell, Livermore, Gee, Vernon, Smith......the list goes on....and on...and on....

Offline fayl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 20 August 15 22:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone for your suggestion and help.

As far as I can tell from my research all my grandmothers sisters/brothers were  christened.

To recap - my Harper ancestors lived in Birmingham from 1892 - ? before moving to Foleshill (1901 census shows them at The Green Man). My grandmother was born Foleshill Dec 1901 and the family moved back to Birmingham in ?1904/5 where they continued to live managing/running various public houses.

I have found 2 more children born (and christened ) in Birmingham after my grandmothers birth, and I believe there were 1-2 more children born that died but haven't found any birth, christening or death records and unsure if they were born in Birmingham or elsewhere.

Fay
Family name Preston (of Birmingham)
Husselbe (Shropshire), Harper (Claverley, Stoke, Warwick, Birmingham) Lloyd (Shropshire & Birmingham) Pitt (Birmingham) Francis (Shropshire) Lloyd (Shropshire & Birmingham). Taylor (Birmingham).  Mellon(Mallon), Convery, Atchison (Gateshead & Ireland).

Offline Lemontree

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 19 September 15 14:51 BST (UK) »
Foleshill was a very densely populated parish and had two parish churches. Only one of the parish churches has the baptism registers on the website ancestry in 1901 (st Paul). The other parish (St Laurence) registers are not available on the website ancestry after 1899 - therefore if your ancestor was baptised at St Laurence parish church and you have only looked on the website ancestry you will not find the baptism.

If you want to check the st Laurence baptism register a trip to Warwick record office to view the registers after 1899 would be needed.

HTH it is always worthwhile checking the dates of the documents you are searching as they may not cover the dates you require - this can be done on ancestry

Offline fayl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 19 September 15 14:58 BST (UK) »

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and help.

I work full time - so a visit to Warwickshire Records office isn't possible - well not at the moment.

I may need to post a request for a look up - if anyone is visiting the records office in the near future.

Fay
Family name Preston (of Birmingham)
Husselbe (Shropshire), Harper (Claverley, Stoke, Warwick, Birmingham) Lloyd (Shropshire & Birmingham) Pitt (Birmingham) Francis (Shropshire) Lloyd (Shropshire & Birmingham). Taylor (Birmingham).  Mellon(Mallon), Convery, Atchison (Gateshead & Ireland).