Author Topic: Brook Farm, Finedon Road, Wellingborough  (Read 7922 times)

Offline christineann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Brook Farm, Finedon Road, Wellingborough
« on: Friday 13 June 14 21:24 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone,  I wonder if anyone might be able to take a look at the electoral registers for the above address in Wellingborough around the time of WW2.  I realise that it may be either before the war or just after as I don't think they did the electoral registers during the war.

My mum, who is 91, was a Land Army girl at a farm just a short walk up from Wellingborough Station from 1943-1945.  The above farm seems to fit where she has described when I looked on a 1948 Ordnance survey map.  She knows the farmer's christian name was George and he had a son Trevor who got married whilst she was there.  She went to his wedding and says it was in a church  but is not sure of the area but they travelled in a vehicle.  I've checked the Wellingborough marriages for a Trevor during the above years but there are none so am going to look further afield as he probably got married in his bride's parish.  I've also sent for the marriage certificates of all Trevors who married in Northampton registration district from 1943-45 but none have the father as George, occupation farmer.  I intend to send for others in nearby registration districts.

Mum would like, if possible, for us to try and trace the descendants of George's family as she said they treated her like a daughter.  It's not an easy task but if anyone can help, I would be most grateful. :)
Bullock Derbyshire, Hudson Sheffield, McMurray Ireland and Sheffield, Bullass Sheffield, Lomas Sheffield

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://5bravemen.weebly.com/
    • View Profile
Re: Brook Farm, Finedon Road, Wellingborough
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 June 14 13:00 BST (UK) »
Hi christineann .

The Northants Record Office have Electoral Registers for Wellingborough.

Wellingborough
1918-1939, 1945-1995

Maybe asking them to have a look if no one here can search for you.

Also the Wellingborough Musuem or Library may be able to help.

Sandy
Census Crown Copyright

Offline christineann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 June 14 14:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sandy, I will give Northants Record Office a ring next week to see if they can help or may even visit myself as I am thinking of taking my mum into the area again to see if she can remember the places she stayed which included Denton, Wilby and Wellingborough.  We live in Yorkshire so it's quite a way but not impossible.
Bullock Derbyshire, Hudson Sheffield, McMurray Ireland and Sheffield, Bullass Sheffield, Lomas Sheffield

Online sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 June 14 18:45 BST (UK) »
I think the name might be AUSTIN ... based upon the idea that farms often 'stay in the family'.

The 1911 census shows Frank and Lilian Austin living at Brook Farm with their 3 sons, the eldest of the three being George Sturgess Carter Austin aged 12 (born Brixworth).

Bryan.
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Online sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 June 14 19:26 BST (UK) »
... but it might also be CARTER ...

The 1901 census shows Frank & Lilian Austin at Bugbrooke Hill Cotts, Kislingbury, with son George S Carter.
Frank Austin & Lilian Carter married Brixworth MarQ 1900.
George Sturgess Carter born 1899 Brixworth (died 1975 Kettering).

There's a George S Carter married Winifred Abbott DecQ 1925 Wellingborough, but not found children yet.

Bryan.
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

Online sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 June 14 20:51 BST (UK) »
Frank Austin died 1937 Wellingborough, so there is the possibility he was at Brook Farm until then with his son taking over the running of the farm.

I'll see if the library is any help tomorrow.

Offline christineann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 16 June 14 13:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Bryan

I did take a look at the 1911 census and saw that the Austins were living there but didn't find the marriage for their son George Sturgess Carter so thanks for that.  Like you, I can't find any children from their marriage and would have loved to have found a Trevor  :) as the dates are about right for his birth.  I'm still trying to find out who lived at Brook Farm in the 1940s and have ascertained that the electoral rolls are kept at Northants Record Office.  Their search fees are £25 per hour so think I may take my mum down to re-visit the area and go to the Record Office at the same time.

There are allotments next door to Brook Farm, as there was in 1945 according to the Ordnance Survey Map I looked at, and I have been in contact with the Chairman of these.  He was very interested and is going to talk to some of his older colleagues to see if they remember anything of the farm which appears to have been demolished now.

Thanks for your help.

Online sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 16 June 14 13:58 BST (UK) »
Hi christineann

Wellingborough Library yesterday, Wellingborough Museum today.

Neither Brook Farm nor its occupants appear to be mentioned in any of the local directories that I've found 1896-1964.

The local newspaper (at Museum) - Wellingborough News 17 Aug 1934 -  shows death notice for Lilian Mary Austin at Great Harrowden aged 54 ... whilst this might only be a few fields away, I think it enough to imply that the family had moved from Brook Farm by this date. No death notice for Frank D Austin found 1937.

There's a very, very, outside chance the Musuem can help you. They have 3 photographs of land army girls, a group, a pair, and a single, all unidentified. Maybe they could make them available to you online or by email. Worth an ask ... http://www.wellingboroughmuseum.co.uk

Might be able to make it to Record Office tomorrow, if that helps.

Bryan.

Offline christineann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 16 June 14 16:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Bryan

Thank you so much.  You've been very helpful!  I was wondering myself if Brook Farm might have other occupants by the 1940's, although I know that many farms did pass through families from one generation to another.

I have spoken to Melody at Wellingborough Museum and we had a really interesting chat.  Thanks to you she knew all about my quest and I've sent her an e-mail with all the info, together with my mum's Land Army certificate and several photos of her in Land Army uniform, two of which were taken in the fields on the farm.  Melody is going to try and send me the photos of the Land Army girls they have at the museum.

I hope, after all this, that I have located the right farm but as far as I can see this is the only one within a 15 minute walk of Wellingborough Station up a track as mum said.

I really appreciate your offer of a visit to the Record Office if possible.  Once again, thanks for your help.

Christine