Author Topic: 1847 Lookup Request  (Read 1823 times)

Offline jenson24

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1847 Lookup Request
« on: Sunday 26 June 05 20:38 BST (UK) »
Hello. I do not have much information, but I thought I would give it a shot anyway.  :-\

Thomas WATKINS sailed from Liverpool, England April 1847. Arrived in New York May 7, 1847. Born abt. 1821 in either Glamorgan or Monmouth. I have a naturalization record I believe to be his from April 1850 in Mercer County, PA. He m. Julia BLACK MCDONALD in Jan of 1854 in Meigs County, Ohio.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Jenna

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My reason for digging! Two nutkins!
    • View Profile
Re: 1847 Lookup Request
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 June 05 22:22 BST (UK) »
What exactly are you looking for help with?  The more specific the request, the more someone may be able to help.
George William Burke.. my missing link!! son of Wm Burke & Mary Jane Stone/Morris
Shields & Milner- Patrington  & Bilton, Yorkshire<br />Nixon & Bowers - Appleby, Broughton & Messingham, Lincolnshire<br />Hancock &Tyson- Tetford, Skendleby & Spilsby, Lincolnshire<br />Cochrane- Darvel, Loudon, Ayrshire<br />Yuill, Hardie- Paisley, Renfrewshire<br />Kennedy, Gardener & Clelland- Glasgow, Lanarkshire & Paisley, Renfrewshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchive

Offline Chattykathy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 June 05 23:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenna,  looks like you have some fairly solid information but still not easy to find your guy!

Looked at about 11 Thomas Watkins between in census years 1850-1880 b. within 5 years of 1821  --  could find none with Wife Julia. 

Only 2 1850 entries (before he married) but those guys had other wives and children. 

Found only 1 Meigs Co. OH entry and that wasn't him either.  Found zero in Mercer Co., PA.

So only one slim maybe to report:

1880 Trumbell Co., Hubbard, Ohio
Thomas Watkins Age 64 <1816> Widow  b. in Wales 
F/M: Wales      Profession:  Keeps Store

Do you know what profession your Thomas might have had?  These areas in PA and OH are alot of miners and farmers from Wales, as you probably already know.

Sorry!

Kathy
KING Buckinghamshire  US
FANNING LINDEN Ireland US
BARRET Devonshire
GURLEY Warwickshire
SMITH Buckinghamshire US
MORAN Ireland Lancashire Warwickshire US
BALLARD Worcester US

Offline jenson24

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 June 05 01:34 BST (UK) »
I apologize for being so vague. I just reread my post (as I should have done when I posted) and realized I didn't really ask for a specific lookup.

I appreciate the information, Kathy. I have traced the family in the United States. I am not able to get back to Wales w/ Thomas. That was what my lookup request was referring to--Thomas emigration from Wales or any immigration information that might be found in the US or a ship record.

From census records I have an estimated birth yr of about 1821. Thomas married Julia BLACK MCDONALD in Meigs County, Ohio in 1854 as I said. They are on the 1860-1880 census returns for Mason County, WV. They had two children, James born 1855 and Alexander born 1857. Thomas served in the Civil War from 1861-1863 with the 4th WV Volunteer Infantry. He served as postmaster for Mason, WV from 1866-1880 or so (don't have the exact date in front of me). His wife Julia died in 1888 in Mason County. Thomas then moved to Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio w/ their son James and his wife Elizabeth HUTCHINSON WATKINS (information from a letter found in his pension file). I cannot find a death certificate for him, but I believe he is buried in Adamsville Cemetery in Mason, WV w/ Julia. The cemetery is pretty run down and the records are sketchy.

There is an entry in Hardesty's that states that Thomas was born in Glamorgan, Wales. His pension file states that he was born in Monmouth, England. Neither one gives me a narrow enough place to search. I believe he came over between 1847 and 1851 (got info last night from a 91 yr old relative that states October 1851, but cites no source).

I have searched ship records, but I don't have a pair of ppl that would help me match my Thomas, only Thomas (could I have a more common name to try to research?). I have inquired w/ Glamorgan Record Office about possibly tracking him down there--but there are too many parishes to be able to conduct a search.

The entry in Hardesty's also stated that his parents were James WATKINS and Ann(e) JAMES WATKINS (again, could I get any more common names to try to pick through?).

Any suggestions, ideas, good luck charms (LOL ;D I'm getting desperate here) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

Jenna

Offline Chattykathy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 June 05 02:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenna! 

Well that is the HARD part particularily in early immigration years.  You are right, unless there is a traveling partner or a family group, very hard to pick an individual out. 

AND, not all ships transcribed or all passenger lists transcribed in full.  For all you know, somebody spilled coffee on your portion of  the Passenger List for your ship 150 years ago!

AND even further,  there was no requirement for accuracy on the Lists so ages, place of birth can be way off and no other information to put up against it for validation.

Maybe you should just forget the journey portion for now and just concentrate on finding them in Wales --  no easy feat as you have found. 

You have posted on the Wales board here?

I assume you've worked over the IGI?

I have thought many of my lines were dead as a door nail and all my names are common as  well  --  but I just kept posting every angle and approach I could think of with as much info as I thought was relevant and I have gotten amazing results --  including Chatters who have gone to County Records Offices and done pages and pages of look ups for me! 

So just keep at it  ---  sorry no new, brilliant advice to give!

We all pray for a genea genie!

Good luck!
kathy

KING Buckinghamshire  US
FANNING LINDEN Ireland US
BARRET Devonshire
GURLEY Warwickshire
SMITH Buckinghamshire US
MORAN Ireland Lancashire Warwickshire US
BALLARD Worcester US