Author Topic: NSW Address but no name  (Read 12244 times)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: NSW Address but no name
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 17 June 14 00:47 BST (UK) »
I do not know very much about title searches but I wonder if this link would be something worth exploring.

http://www.lpi.nsw.gov.au/land_titles/property_information

I do not live in NSW, but a someone from the state may have a better understanding than me.

Would it be possible to discover the title holder in 1930's?

It assumes, of course, that Eileen and her husband were owners not renter ???

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Essie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 17 June 14 01:17 BST (UK) »
This marriage did happen in VIC.

Wm Jas HARRILL b. Southampton
m. 1894
Katerine SIMPSON  b. Hull ENG
Reg. # 5063

Essie

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 17 June 14 01:19 BST (UK) »
Hopefully the following link will give a starting point re NSW Land Titles (link includes not just NSW)

http://www.insidehistory.com.au/2013/03/expert-qa-researching-australian-land-records-with-carole-riley/

( :) I had a message come across the screen when trying to post this .... The server was under 'high stress'  ;D  ;D  ;D could I come back later  ::)  ::)   ..... So here I am, back later  ;D )

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Vectis2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 17 June 14 04:19 BST (UK) »
This marriage did happen in VIC.

Wm Jas HARRILL b. Southampton
m. 1894
Katerine SIMPSON  b. Hull ENG
Reg. # 5063

Essie

Yes that's the one I have the 'original' marriage certificate found in my mums possessions, as I said before he was a master at blurring lines and his first and second names are switched, he used Bill as well. His family were quite well to do business people and his Father a Freeman of the City of London. He ran away to sea quite young, as I said before he was born Hackney so giving Southampton was a porkie, he is listed as a steward on the cert, residing in Brunswick

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 17 June 14 05:56 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Re the 1938 letter that Jack sent from NSW to the UK .... Do you have the envelope?  How did he spell the surname of Eileen's Dad on that envelope?  or if you don't have the envelope, then from the letter, how does he address Eileen's Dad ..... as in :

"Dear ................."  

Reason for asking?  Well, perhaps Jack survived Eileen, and if so, perhaps Jack was the informant on her death registration, and if so, he (or any one, as informant) would have been expected to provide the full name of her Dad, and the full name of her Mum, including Mum's nee name.   Of course, he would have also been expected to provide the details about Eileen May, including when and where married, names and ages of the children of the marriage/s ....

The NSW death certs are quite informative, and are far more detailed than English ones.   :)

Full name, sex and age, date and place of death, usual place of residence, usual occupation and marital status at death, Place of marriage, age when married, full name of spouse,  Children's name and ages,  Parent's names and mother's maiden name, Cause/s of death and duration of last illness, Burial or cremation date and place.

The Sydney NSW suburbs in the Canterbury-Bankstown district in the 1930s were split between several federal electorates:  I think (not sure, but) :  Lang, Parkes, Reid. 

Cheers,  JM   
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 17 June 14 06:29 BST (UK) »
Bingo!

This is probably no help as 1938 to 1952 is a fair time and I couldn't see these people at the same address in 1949 - at least it looks like the chap selling the car  :-\

Electoral Roll:
1952 at 116 Kingsgrove Rd, Kingsgrove
Clifford Raymond MUNRO, garage proprietor
Joyce Elizabeth MUNRO, clerk

This is, perhaps, his birth but it seems unrelated to your family:  :(
22699/1906 #22699, registered Canterbury
Clifford R MUNRO
Parents: William, Myrtle

I see a death for Clifford Raymond MUNRO on Ryerson, July 1987 aged 83

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Vectis2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 17 June 14 06:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks JM & Judith, right the letter sent to the UK by Jack didn't have an envelope, he starts it "Dear Dad", but it was Grandmother that was Nellie's parent, she had died the year before and there apparently had been some acrimony between Nellie and Grandfather over some possessions she believed rightly hers  as the eldest daughter. As far as I know [just from family] Nellie did survive until after the war, I also seem to remember that one of the sons had been a Japanese POW and one had also worked for a film company delivering movies to the outback perhaps in the late 40's, In 1938 the electoral district seems to have been Lang.  Judith I think that by 1952,  they may have left that house then as none of that seems to correlate, but it does give us a cut off point :)   

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 17 June 14 06:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Vectis2,

Can you just confirm some things for me from the following statements:

Because my grand parents were not married there are numerous problems tracing, some of my relatives

the grandparents secret'  led to a mangling of names at different periods. My grandfather surname was was Harris [James William], my grandmothers 'first married' name was Harris [Henrietta Alice, nee Moore], which over time morphed into Harrill.

Have you confirmed that these two people who appear on the same page of the marriage register are not your grandparents? 

Marriages March Quarter 1893

HARRIS, William Henry    
MOORE, Henrietta Alice
Registered at West Ham
Volume 4a  Page 37

Have you confirmed that this not your mother's birth registration?

Births March Quarter 1906

HARRILL, Florence Alexandra
Registered at Billericay
Volume 4a    Page 705

It was confirmed by by my mother and sister [both now deceased]  that my grandparents were not married. I have them all on the 1901 [Poplar] and 1911 UK census [Laindon], no certificates for mum [1906] or Nellie, who was Harris in 1901 and Harrill 1911 on the census.

If you don't have birth certificates for your mother or aunt, how have you confirmed their father's correct name?

The surname is actually HARRILL on both the 1901 and the 1911.  Henrietta would have provided the information on the first, and Nellie/Aileen was the person who completed and signed the second.  She signed her name 'Aileen May HARRILL'.

Also noting that the person identified by the enumerator at the end of the schedule as the head of family or separate occupier is W.J. HARRILL, Stickworth, Laindon.

Debra  :)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 17 June 14 08:29 BST (UK) »
Here's Nellie _

Electoral Roll 1937 - no others of that surname at that address.
116 Kingsgrove Rd, Canterbury
Nellie LEE, home duties
John Ingleby LEE, labourer

Other entries for these two, same occupations
1930 -  1 Kangaroo St, Canterbury - another entry, same year ( people not always removed from a previous address) 144 Northcote St, Canterbury

1933, 1936 - 144 Northcote St

1949 - 116 Bexley Rd, also at that address Ross Adrian LEE, cotton spinner, Clyde Royston Lee, motor driver

1954, John and Nellie at 116 Bexley Rd
1958, John Nellie and Ross at Bexley Rd.

I don't see John after that.  Perhaps this is his death:
NSW BMDs
1965 #23567, registered Wyong
John Ingleby LEE   
Parents: John Ingleby, Jane   

Will have a bit more of a hunt as this would seem to be the correct family.

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk