Author Topic: The new FindMyPast (Part 5)  (Read 23611 times)

Offline Isabel H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: The new FindMyPast (Part 5)
« Reply #9 on: Monday 09 June 14 15:03 BST (UK) »
rayard,
 if the snipping tool doesn't do the job, download the page and open it with your .pdf reader. Adjust the text to a size you can read easily, then use the Snapshot tool to select the area you want.  Paste that into a graphics program, Paint, Photoshop, etc, and save it as a .jpg. 
Hope that helps
Isabel
GRAY - Inveresk; Lanarkshire
LINDSAY - Lanarkshire
PURDIE - Lanarkshire; W. Lothian
POZZI - Elgin; Lancashire
MACKENZIE, MORISON - Stornoway
ARCHIBALD, HAY, HUNTER, SNADDON - Clackmannanshire
COXON, HALL, JACKSON, SHOTTON - Northumberland

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 09 June 14 18:46 BST (UK) »
I've used screen print.....enlarge the bit I need .
Ringrose
Mann Ringrose Prior( West London)Prior (Halstead Colchester and Sudbury)Ringrose (Northants) Clark(sussex  Bath)Light(Shropshire West London)Barber(Northants)Gaudern (Northants)Piper(Suffolk)Carter (Essex)Nightingale,Stiles,Dunk,Hedgecock(Kent)Mann(south Devon )Le Cronier,Le Quesne,Poingdestre,Esnouf,Le Guyt,Anley.Le Carteret(Jersey)Clark(Bath,Batcombe,and Nyland )
er(essex)Nightingale(kent Sussex)Sutton (sussex)

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 10 June 14 02:33 BST (UK) »
the format for newspaper articles should be PDF and that is because the sister site to FindMyPast is British Newspaper Archive  and the database is partially one in the same....> FindMyPast just has lesser amount than tother.......

PDF in adobe should have enlarger command in middle of window.   increase the percentage of the pdf to whatever size and find the article u so desire......  text can be in the most right clicked and copied into word or text file.     if you want the photos or an article as it appeared then it is better to get readable size then use gadwin.......      and do a screenshot.....    some folk nowadays can do a quick image with their digital camera and then load back into pc......     one cant really print the whole pdf of the newspaper article unless one goes to a special print shop where architects plans etc are done......

others may know of other techniques.........

ADDITIONAL MODIFIED>>>>

the alternative is to go to the British Library and extract the microfilm for the edition you seek and use a digital image scanner and create jpeg...but I am guessing you may not have time or live close to the British Library. ;)
\
As well I should state that sometimes the wrong lens was used on the original microfilming format and occassionally one sees the PDF in miniscule size but ........    a requisite can be done through Brightsolid but generally the request has to come from the subscriber of British Newspaper Archive..... as the british library takes tooooo long to proccess a copy of correct size.....   I have encountered that problem and twas very frustrating at the time ......as  what happens is when one increases size percentage in adobe the darnable thing turns into blurry dots.
Also I should mention that Fulton Postcards site has some British Newspaper stories in PDF format and it is a good idea to check that site cos its f r e e......   however in saying that I have come accross some American sites that reprint or have modified UK articles but the format although similiar to PDF will not work on microsoft systems as it was designed for Apple Mac users......and most of those sites are very heavy on the pocket.....

Offline rayard

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 10 June 14 14:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your replies.....I will keep trying!
rayard.

Offline Parmesan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad 1921-2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 14 June 14 23:00 BST (UK) »
Anyone who dissatisfied with new FindMyPast be aware that several people have had extensions to their subscriptions, me included, 3 months.  Some have had pro rata refunds.

The site was launched with woefully inadequate testing.  They have admitted there have been problems and its not as simple to use as they said.  Not much more they can do really but you have to be proactive.  Whilst everything is being sorted (hopefully) your subscriptions are running out.
Paternal: Staffordshire, Shropshire, Lancashire, Cheshire, Durham, Wales, Arrondissements Oudenaarde and Gent, Belgium, -  - Maternal: Cheshire, Lancashire, Ireland

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 14 June 14 23:53 BST (UK) »
 ;D Still using it with a totally different "feel" ie used to be great, put in name/ surname with, or initial surname letter*/yob +/-2/ county it would remember from census to census, not now, do not be born in Liverpool or Ireland, so easy prior but  ??? now?
Also fed up with page/folio swap on a certain ref, will let you decide which!
1911 anyone figured just what you should enter for pob with a chance of a result?
Loads more, await replies!

Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 16 June 14 00:32 BST (UK) »
uuuuuummmmmmm...........................my bone with the infernal search engine.......     the WFHS recently launched the burial index for Wiltshire.........   all I seeing is a duplication of entries in fs.o but fs.o is not giving place names where FindMyPast is giving them for the same entries.......     when I am trying assemble whole villages in Wiltshire to match deaths without probates FindMyPast's engine is a pain in the u knows wheres.
the biggest offending parishes on the fs.o are Urchfont and Broadchalke that I have discovered thus far where on fs.o the entries are listed as "Wiltshire" but then magically appear under village name in FindMyPast...   What in heck is the use of trying to manipulate the databanks like that I ask, especially when one is a SUBSCRIPTION..................ggggrrrrrrr    maybe anc should have all the prs and brightsolid get over themselves and get other databases ..................   Because my ggggrrrrr also extends to some UK census on FindMyPast/ fs.o    then the rest are in fs.o/anc    what in bleeding name is the rational idealism that let that goose of a thing to happen.....  One site all data.... especially when it is my percieved conception that FindMyPast came latter on the net.    OOOhhh thats right brightsolid has made SPECIAL exclusive rights with the same folk who gave other sites SPECIAL exclusive rights to the same databases.....uuuummm
Whynot just release whole flippin parishes rather this singular entries twaddle?     I want to use search engine by placename most of the time to be able to pick up spelling variants or mistranscriptions.....

so when all the sites charging SUBSCRIPTION wake up to themselves and create a search engine that is user friendly and stops copying what the other site had started to do then FindMyPast will become better.....I hopes.   but right now one needs to ask the fs.o to relaunch their old 1881 census search engine cos the new one sucks..   and FindMyPast need to clean up their act and probably revert back to the old engine header page. But we've been thru all this before when brightsolid web designers changed the header pages of GenesReunited...uuummmm

and I havent even had my first coffee yet...

:)

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 16 June 14 09:40 BST (UK) »
  maybe anc should have all the prs and brightsolid get over themselves

Ancestry are no better with their awful transcriptions.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Parmesan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad 1921-2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 16 June 14 10:02 BST (UK) »
FindMyPast are now owned by D C Thomson who also own Genes Reunited and Scotland's People amongst others.

I agree Ancestry's transcriptions are awful but FindMyPast, who have always been better are catching up.  I don't know whether they uploaded new records altogether but I have seen some fine bloopers cropping up quite regularly recently, where it used to be rare in the past.  Even some corrected transcriptions have come back in their mistranscribed form.
Paternal: Staffordshire, Shropshire, Lancashire, Cheshire, Durham, Wales, Arrondissements Oudenaarde and Gent, Belgium, -  - Maternal: Cheshire, Lancashire, Ireland