Author Topic: Marchingon court roll 1701  (Read 387 times)

Offline Helena11a

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marchingon court roll 1701
« on: Wednesday 18 June 14 16:01 BST (UK) »
Last one promise!

This is dated 5th May 1701 and some one did tell me this states that William Bladon surrendered the property in the manor and John Platts, John Morton and Thomas Webb were admitted.  I can see the names of the lands in question - Swan Field, Nether Swan Field, Misty Close and Ditch Botham but can't see the name Platts anywhere!

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marchingon court roll 1701
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 June 14 22:10 BST (UK) »
Not a full transcript here, but no sign of Platts ...  ???

To this court came William Bladon, clerk, in his own proper person and surrendered into the hands of the lord of the aforesaid manor by the rod according to the custom of the same manor All that close or parcel of land called le ditch Botham Upper Swansfield and Neather Swansfield with appurtenances (interlined) ^... recently in the occupation of Luke Debill(?) and John Wodsly(?) or their assigns^ lying and being in the manor of Marchington aforesaid, to the use and benefit of John Morton the younger for and during the term of his natural life, and after his decease then to such uses ... as the aforesaid John Morton by ... his will or ... in writings lawfully made may limit, declare and appoint, and for lack of such limitation or appointment then to the use and benefit of the certain heirs of the said John Morton for ever      

William Bladon

(in English) John Morton now admitted and fine(?)
p(ai)d but 8s. p(ai)d for f...(?)

Offline Helena11a

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Marchingon court roll 1701
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 June 14 11:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks a lot, wonder why William surrendered the land?  Something else to look into at Kew! and who John Morton was I don't know!