Author Topic: my father's forefathers George Lacey Cord  (Read 2302 times)

Offline pathtrodden

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
my father's forefathers George Lacey Cord
« on: Thursday 19 June 14 07:04 BST (UK) »
I am not sure exactly what I am supposed to do here, but I think I am supposed to ask a question rather than being able to do my own research??  So here goes.

I have no information on my father's family and would like to explore the family tree.   His name was George Lacey Cord and he was born on the 02/08/1916.  I grew up in Dundee, Scotland and my whole family emigrated to Australia in April, 1963.   My father died on the 19/10/1978.   My grandparents died before I was born and I have no details on who they were, where they were born etc.   Thank you 

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: my father's forefathers
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 June 14 07:21 BST (UK) »
Hi pathtrodden and welcome to RootsChat

I'm sure there will be many people on here who will be more than willing to help and guide you in looking for your family's history.

Firstly I've noticed on the NSW Births, Deaths, Marriages site ( www.bdm.nsw.gov.au ) that there is a death recorded for a George Lacy CORD in 1978. His parents are reported to be John Benjamin Cord and mother is Susan Cord.

If this is the correct record then it's a starting point to trace your grandparents in Scotland.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 June 14 07:27 BST (UK) »
Welcome from me too.

Your best source for further research at this stage is ScotlandsPeople, a pay per view site where for a few credits you will be able to view actual register images for your ancestors back to the start of Scottish civil registration in 1855.  Before that you may be able to trace further back through parish records.

www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

You should be able to find George's birth and marriage on there in order to confirm the details found from Australia. You will also be able to see census images for earlier generations, the last available census being 1911 at present.

Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline saddles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 June 14 07:38 BST (UK) »
Welcome also.

As already mentioned 'Scotlandspeople' is the place to obtain BDM etc on your Cord family, however
keep in mind that the best way to build a family tree starts with your current status and work back.
I would recommend you ask questions of your own family as to their knowledge including any Cord
that resides in Dundee that are quite likely to be related.
I can't help with any information from Scotlandspeople as I do not have a subscription, but I can tell
you that there are a small number of Cord residing in Dundee according to a recent electoral roll.
If you want information on living persons you can only do so via PM (private message) and you
need to make three open forum posts first before you can use the PM, after which you can PM me
for further information if required.
Townson - Cartmel                      O'Malley - Askeaton, Ireland
Sadler - Dymock & Salford           Tomlinson - St Peters, Leeds
Wilkinson - Salford                      Chant - Sherbourne, Dorset
Garner - Pendleton

Offline sgf28

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 June 14 07:54 BST (UK) »
Welcome from me too :)

Marriage for George's parents, recorded as:

John Benn Cord married in St Clements, Dundee City, 1910 to Susan E Gibb.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 June 14 09:12 BST (UK) »
Looking on the 1901 Scottish census for a John Cord, there are not many. One living in Dundee b 1883 is a Calender worker unemployed is living with a brother Andrew Cord and Andrew's wife and family. Another brother Peter is also living with them. A certificate or two should tell you if this is the right family.

Offline pathtrodden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: my father's forefathers George Lacey Cord
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 June 14 08:19 BST (UK) »
Again, I am not quite sure if I am doing this correctly, but I just want to thank the 5 kind people who replied to my post.  They were really helpful and so very interesting.   Hopefully you will receive this message.

Pathtrodden

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 24 June 14 08:59 BST (UK) »
You have done it correctly.  :)

Did you go ahead and purchase some credits for Scotlands People? The cost works out very reasonable for each certificate and they contain a huge amount of information.

Let us know if you need any further help with your Cord family or anything else.

Offline pathtrodden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 24 June 14 09:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you Ruskie.    I will be following up all of this detail in a Family History Class I have just joined.   As I am so new to family history, our tutor is going to focus on giving the new folk some priority, so it does look like I will get many insights soon  :)