Author Topic: (*Completed with thanks*)James McKenzie born Craig 1821  (Read 13090 times)

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
Re: (*Completed with thanks*)James McKenzie born Craig 1821
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 05 September 19 08:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Liviani,
Are John Stott's (born 1790) parent's listed on his death certificate? Thought he might be a brother to William but on the 41 if that's him living at Boddin he's showing born outside of the county?
Jen
North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 05 September 19 21:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Liviani,
Are John Stott's (born 1790) parent's listed on his death certificate? Thought he might be a brother to William but on the 41 if that's him living at Boddin he's showing born outside of the county?
Jen

Hi Jen

John Stott died 1857 aged 78 at Boddin. According to George Stott (son) the informant, John's parent's were Alexander Stott and Janet Reid.
I think son George got the name of his grandfather wrong however. A John Stote was born Blackdikes, Stracathro in 1781 to a James Stote and Janet Reid. I also don't have an Alexander as a son for them, but I do have a James Stott.

I have John Stott and wife Jane at Boddin in 1851, they were there 10 years prior in 1841 as you've found. In the 1851 census his place of birth is noted as "Stracathro, Forfarrshire". So I think there is an error with the place of birth in the 1841 census.

Liviani

mtDNA subclade K1b2b. Father's Y-DNA I-S25383
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Sheret, Hosie, Valentine, Crow, Beattie, McArthur, Wyllie.
Angus (Forfarshire)
Adam, Valentine, Ewan, Elder, Guild, Kydd, Bradford, Stronner, Gibson, Cloudsley, Evans, Stewart, Stott.
Perthshire
Small, Robertson, Murray, Kennedy, McGregor
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline McTeacher

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 28 April 24 15:07 BST (UK) »
Jen (Hi) - As an update to our ancestor Alexander McKenzie (married to Mary Gibb in your line), I was in contact w/ a descendant from Alex's via  his son Robert (of second wife Ann Greig). He states that in his McKenzie line, men married very late (as Alex seems to have done). He says family lore has Alex being from Beauly area in Inverness. Nothing further on this...so far. Hope all is well.

Another update, not sure where we left it but I'm almost as certain as I can be w/o actual documentation that Mary Gibb is Alexander's first wife. I've been adding to that side of the family while attempting to connect her sister-in-law (David Gibb's wife Grizzell Greig, born Guthrie abt 1769) w/ Alexander's second wife Ann Greig (born in Inverkeilor abt 1782) to be able to work back Ann's line.

Happy hunting to all.