Author Topic: Sigwarth in Marylebone / London  (Read 8648 times)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sigwarth in Marylebone / London
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 21 June 14 11:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Robin and Groom,

you beat me to it: I was also going to say the same thing. 

Many german families in Britain changed their names before and during World War 1 because of anti-german feelings.  There have been several topics about this on RootsChat, especially on the anglicisation of german names (i.e. trying to guess what the name might have been before, in Germany), but in this case, it looks like they simply stuck to the maiden name of Florian's wife, Catherine Moriarty.

regards,
Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 21 June 14 11:42 BST (UK) »
Possibly, but, she carried it on.
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline robin1860

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 21 June 14 11:43 BST (UK) »
well, i guess this can be checked with the death-certificate.
but i do have a problem to order that (see information on my 3rd last entry here).

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 21 June 14 11:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Robin and Groom,

you beat me to it: I was also going to say the same thing. 

Many german families in Britain changed their names before and during World War 1 because of anti-german feelings.  There have been several topics about this on RootsChat, especially on the anglicisation of german names (i.e. trying to guess what the name might have been before, in Germany), but in this case, it looks like they simply stuck to the maiden name of Florian's wife, Catherine Moriarty.

regards,
Bob

Thanks for that, it must have been very difficult in London from German origins at that time
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 21 June 14 11:48 BST (UK) »
is there any chance to order that death-certificate ? when i fill out the request, they want to keyed in the exact death date, but in only know the quarter and the year, but you HAVE to fill it out completely...

Where are you ordering from? I've just tried the GRO and all it needs is the age at death and we know that is 86. Once you put that in it just wants the quarter and year which is Sept 1965. The District name is Lambeth, the volume number 5C and the page 159.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline robin1860

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 21 June 14 11:50 BST (UK) »
groom: could you forward me the link ?

by he way: i found the newspaper article:  https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31517/page/10688

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 21 June 14 11:51 BST (UK) »

is there any chance to order that death-certificate ? when i fill out the request, they want to keyed in the exact death date, but in only know the quarter and the year, but you HAVE to fill it out completely...

Robin, you need to answer yes to the question about whether you know the GRO Index Ref number. That will take you to a screen where it asks for the volume and page number rather than date.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 21 June 14 11:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that, it must have been very difficult in London from German origins at that time

On the German Pork Butcher topics and on many other topics on the Europe board, there are several stories about hostility towards people who had lived in these places for 30 years and more, and were respected members of the community, but were now - suddenly - German foreigners, the "enemy" !!

Topic: RootsChat Topics: German Pork Butchers
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=509347.0

regards,
Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline robin1860

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 21 June 14 11:56 BST (UK) »
craclyn: yes, i know the page of the GRO. i already ordered the marriage certificate for Florian sen. and Catherine Moriarty. But yesterday evening i tried to order the death cert for Hyacinthe and on the first side of the request you have to key in the age at death. thats ok, we got that. but when you flip to second side, you have to make more entries, also the exact death date... and because this is a must-filled-in date, i cannot continue...