Author Topic: Using IGI vs Scotlands People - Any difference?  (Read 3705 times)

Offline janicejo

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Using IGI vs Scotlands People - Any difference?
« on: Wednesday 25 June 14 16:33 BST (UK) »
I have been researching my grandfather's ancestors and family in Daviot, Aberdeenshire.  I was using Scotland's People for records, and every record I get gives me another lead, so I get another one. This is getting expensive. I'm seriously considering switching to IGI at LDS centers.  Is there any difference in the IGI and the records from SP?  In Daviot, most birth records list the farm or village the baby's family was living in.  That's been a big help to me, as Daviot is so small (600-1000 people) that if you have two kids born with the same last name on the same farm, with father's name the same, they are probably siblings.  Please give me your opinions.

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Re: Using IGI vs Scotlands People - Any difference?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 June 14 16:40 BST (UK) »
The IGI is not a 'record' it is a collection of data, collected, sent in, donated plus copies of parish records NOTHING is checked, you can only use the IGI as a clue about where to look for real records, there are howling errors on it, so it is useful but only useful, as for ScotlandsPeople it depends on what you are using if it is the images of the real records then those like on ANY website are the only real records online again everything else is just a clue about where to look
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 June 14 18:50 BST (UK) »
Assuming you do not live in Scotland, but are close to an LDS centre, it is worth borrowing a microfilm of the parish registers from them (you might be able to get hold of them at some libraries or local family history societies too), That way you can see everything you want. It is often worthwhile looking at ALL the baptisms as you may find your ancestors witnessing the baptisms of neighbours' children too. That is often the only trace they leave after they have married and had their own children baptised. That way you can say they were still alive at such and such a date. I have found the names of two grandmothers from the early 18th century that way, as they are not named in the baptism records of their own children, but are given as "wife of ..." when acting as a witness.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 June 14 18:58 BST (UK) »
NEVER, EVER, take IGI as the definitive - it is only a guide.  You HAVE to consult the parish registers to obtain the full story (as written). GR2 has it absolutely.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 June 14 19:13 BST (UK) »
Think you need to distinguish between IGI and Familysearch. Familysearch includes record collections which are reliable and user submitted trees which can include errors. The record collections for Scotland include useful index information but do not give online access to the actual images which you can get from scotlandspeople.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 June 14 20:00 BST (UK) »
The IGI is a database of ordinances of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS).

Familysearch a website containing many databases (including the IGI), transcripts of parish registers, land registers, workhouse records, census etc., etc.

Scotland's People is a website that contains many databases, census, civil registers, baptisms, burials etc. with the option of purchasing a certified copy of a statutory register entry or copy of a parish register entry or census page.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.