Author Topic: Is it possible to check the 1891 Census for Swansea by address?  (Read 1671 times)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Is it possible to check the 1891 Census for Swansea by address?
« on: Thursday 26 June 14 11:21 BST (UK) »

Having failed to find my Grandfather, William James Wilson (1860 - 1937) on the 1891 Census for Wales by the usual routes...

I am wondering, - is it possible to check the 1891 Census for Swansea by Address?

On his Marriage Cert in Swansea in June 1893, he is living at:
'Lower Oxford Street, Swansea'. And so right in central Swansea.

Does anyone know what the Piece Number is for the 1891 for Central Swansea?

Cheers, Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Is it possible to check the 1891 Census for Swansea by address?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 June 14 12:13 BST (UK) »
Yes - it is possible but only on Find My Past.  Their T & C's prohibit publication of that type of info from their website.  However - they are offering a months access for £1 up to 30th June
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 June 14 13:06 BST (UK) »
Just did a quick check - the address comes up 1901 and 1911 but not for 1891.   Sorry.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 June 14 14:06 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for looking.

Yes, I have subs to FindMyPast, - but I get a '0' Result for the 1891 Census on there:-(

Do I just put the street address in, - or do I need to fill in all of the other boxes too?

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline JohnG_Swansea

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 October 14 09:00 BST (UK) »

Having failed to find my Grandfather, William James Wilson (1860 - 1937) on the 1891 Census for Wales by the usual routes...

I am wondering, - is it possible to check the 1891 Census for Swansea by Address?

On his Marriage Cert in Swansea in June 1893, he is living at:
'Lower Oxford Street, Swansea'. And so right in central Swansea.

Does anyone know what the Piece Number is for the 1891 for Central Swansea?

Cheers, Romilly.
Hi

The following has worked for me:
Looking at a census page where you have previously found your target person [Grandfather, WJW], select and list a couple of neighbouring families then seach for these families on the census that is giving you grief.

Assuming (a rather big assumption!) that the various families have not moved in the interveining ten years and that they still live in Lower Oxford Street, then your target might reappear.

As above, this 'work around' has worked [albeit only once] for me and has highlighted the potential of transcription errors.

I hope this suggestion is helpful.

Regards: JohnG
Your National Flag/ Ensign can be added to the left-hand side of every post by using your Profile Settings
Base Project: Benjamin D. POPE, (Railway Constructor, Natal) b: 1853 Stretham, Ely, d: 1928 Bath, Som't
Current Project(2018): Cox, Somerset >>> Osborn, Natal >>> Broughton, Canada >>> three Daughters, Natal. Resolved in the Canada Forum another success for Rootschat.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 October 14 09:19 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your helpful thoughts on this JohnG, - much appreciated.

Unfortunately I can only locate my late Grandfather, (William James Wilson 1860 - 1937) on the 1901 and 1911 Censuses for Swansea. On both of them he says he was born in Manchester, Lancs.

The Address on his Marriage Cert, in Swansea on 22/6/1893 says 'Lower Oxford Street', Swansea, and so I'm guessing that he was Lodging there when he met my Grandmother, Margaret Rees (1866 - 1934). They were Married at Swansea Parish Church 'By Banns', and so I guess that I should order a copy of the Banns really. However, I suspect that it will just say, 'Of this Parish' for both of them, because you only had to reside in a Parish for a short period to qualify for this. (3 weeks I believe).

I've tried going through the 1891 Census street by street, but he doesn't show up. (Although funnily enough there is another William James Wilson, also a House Painter, but from Margate, Kent, and born 1865, - so not him).

Best Wishes, Romilly.
Researching: