Author Topic: RAF Strubby Memorial  (Read 1416 times)

Offline DeeBoneham

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
RAF Strubby Memorial
« on: Thursday 26 June 14 15:57 BST (UK) »
On 24 August 2014 there is a memorial being unveiled at what used to be RAF Strubby (near Alford, Lincs).  If anyone has/had relatives who were either ground or aircrew  on the following squadrons 144, 227, 280, 404 or 619 the organisers would like to hear from you or them.  It is going to be a big event with flypast from BBMF, stalls, hog roast and RAF presence.  There will also be someone there with archives about the airfield.  If you are interested in going you will need a formal invitation.  Please pm me and I will put you in touch with Jan Dye who is my contact with the organisers.  :)
Dee
75 (nz) Sqn
Boneham
Taylor

Offline 12tootsi34

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: RAF Strubby Memorial
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 November 15 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Glad to see some action on the old camp. I was stationed here in 1958, not for long though.
J.T. West
West, Alexander, Banham, Balchin.

Offline ChrisEM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 November 15 23:41 GMT (UK) »
I was there for most of 1955 and 1956. A grim, mean place in winter. Populated by Meteor 7s and 8s, some Canberras, including Aries IV, and the odd Hunter. Its function at the time was to act as a satellite aerodrome for the RAF Flying College at Manby and, I think, one of its main activities was running courses for senior officers converting from piston aircraft.  Little evidence of its past history and its Lancasters that I can remember.  Just a few surviving bomb-trolleys which were used by Air Traffic Control to distribute the other main relic I recall, the goose-neck paraffin burners which bordered the runways when a foggy night threatened. Otherwise, still the same concrete and cinder pathways, windswept grass and buildings of concrete and bitumen painted corrugated iron. And ghosts.
The Home Guard of Great Britain - the story of units and individuals 1940-1944 - http://www.staffshomeguard.co.uk

Offline DeeBoneham

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 December 15 14:17 GMT (UK) »
Oh yes definitely the ghosts Chris! Thanks to you and J West for your comments :)
Dee
75 (nz) Sqn
Boneham
Taylor