Author Topic: The Tunnel, Wolverhampton  (Read 3171 times)

Offline Lynntony

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sisters
    • View Profile
The Tunnel, Wolverhampton
« on: Thursday 26 June 14 16:50 BST (UK) »
During some research on my family tree I came across a couple of Baptism records which gave the address of the parents as The Tunnel. The baptisms were carried out at Holy Trinity, Heath Town in the late 1800s. Having looked at the 1901 Heath Town map I couldn't see anywhere of that name, apart from the railway tunnel under what would now be the junction of Wolverhampton Road and Dean's Road. There is also the possibility that it could refer to the canal tunnel  at the bottom of Broad Street. The family were later living at Wolverhampton Road, Heath Town. Does anyone have any idea/knowledge of this peculiar address?  ??? Would appreciate any help you can give.

Tony
Lynn:- Shelton, Edwards, Looker, Platt, Ames, Bagley, Cadman, Cokes, Edmunds, Seymour, Waldren, Mulloy, Cockin/Cockayne

Tony:- Davies, Murphy, Kidd, Elwell, Pither, Roper, Marshall, Whelan, Lycett, Farley, Turner, Rhodes

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Tunnel, Wolverhampton
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 June 14 12:24 BST (UK) »
It might be worth contacting wolverhampton archives details  who are based at the molineux hotel wolverhampton. They have a website for their contact details but I know they are not open today as they like other archives have reduced opening times. Also they have old photos. Hopefully you'll be lucky.

Offline Lynntony

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sisters
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 June 14 15:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply weste.
I do occasionally get to W-ton archives but just thought someone might have some local knowledge to save me a journey. I've checked for photos on the Black Country History website but that's come up blank too. Also considered that it may have been a public house but have found no records for such an establishment under that name. There was also the thought that the father, my 2x great grandfather, was a boatman, but his occupation was shown as a metal shearer. He was killed, aged 33, in an horrific accident at his place of work when a boiler exploded. his body was found, according to the Birmingham Daily post, " dreadfully burnt".

Tony
Lynn:- Shelton, Edwards, Looker, Platt, Ames, Bagley, Cadman, Cokes, Edmunds, Seymour, Waldren, Mulloy, Cockin/Cockayne

Tony:- Davies, Murphy, Kidd, Elwell, Pither, Roper, Marshall, Whelan, Lycett, Farley, Turner, Rhodes

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 June 14 16:07 BST (UK) »
Ooh nasty! Could he have lived on a boat? I tried a search engine but nothing comes up but don't you have a nagging feeling that it's familiar.

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 June 14 16:23 BST (UK) »
Don't know if this is any help but on the 1885 six inch map on the national library of Scotland site there is a public house shown almost on top of the NW tunnel entrance.

http://maps.nls.uk/view/101597318

mike

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 June 14 16:24 BST (UK) »
Just seen a site woverhamptoncityboard.org.uk

There's a lot about redevelopment and there was a track down to the tunnel from what I can tell from it's wording and had buildings on. Sounds like your right on the area.

Offline Lynntony

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sisters
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 27 June 14 17:59 BST (UK) »
Interesting find Mike, I hadn't noticed that! I suppose the family could have been in lodgings there, although I haven't found any record of a public house named The Tunnel. On the other hand the person taking the details from the parents can only write what the parents tell them, so it's possible that the pub could have been locally as the Tunnel and that's what appeared on the register. I suppose it could even have been one of the alleyways that seem quite abundant on the map. The family did eventually move into a house on Wolverhampton Road, Heath Town, so remained in the area.

Weste, I tried the web address you found but couldn't get it to load, just getting the message "Firefox can't find the server at......."

Strange thing is that I've lost count of the times I've driven across this junction over the years without  giving it a second thought! The area has changed so much over the years and redevelopment has taken it's toll of many of the old buildings. The old workhouse where my Gt Gt grandmother died does however still exist as part of New Cross Hospital.  :'(

It definitely looks as though I'm going to have to make that trip to the archives!

Tony

Offline glen11

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 29 June 14 17:43 BST (UK) »
hi,try the Lost Wolverhampton website,and post oh the forum.I am going to the archives on wednesday,will ask for you.Glen
Edwards.Godwin.Gilding

Offline glen11

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 29 June 14 17:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony,I copied some maps from the archives of Holy Trinity as i go on walks there.One of them has some houses on,marked Tunnel.If you contact me and send me your e-mail address,i will send it to you.Glen
Edwards.Godwin.Gilding