Author Topic: Cull family Armagh  (Read 5387 times)

Offline imani3100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Cull family Armagh
« on: Monday 27 June 05 02:36 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find info on my GGgrandmother SUSAN CULL born Armagh between 1884 and 1887. Her fathers name was JOHN CULL, not sure where he came from. I do know that Susan Cull went to Australia at some stage and married THOMAS HENRY SNEDDON in Adelaide South Australia in 1914. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Cull family Armagh
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 July 05 21:57 BST (UK) »
Hello Imani,

Griffiths Valuation of Co. Armagh

Mary Cull, William Street, Tavanagh, Portadown, Drumcree Parish
Thomas Cull, Ballyknock, Kilmore Parish
Thomas Cull, Derryadd, Montiaghs Parish

Best Wishes, Christopher

Offline imani3100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 July 05 02:33 BST (UK) »
thank you so much for that Christopher, much appreciated.

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 July 05 15:26 BST (UK) »
Imani,

We did some serious research in the Chat Room  this afternoon and feel we may have found Susan Cull's father John.

This site also shows Culls throughout Ireland during the period of Griffiths Valuation 1848 - 64. http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths.php There is a table on the site enter the name Cull and search ALL You can also search by individual county. Below is an edited version of the search for John.

Best Wishes, Christopher

[rleach]: chris could not find a john cull in armagh cold he be in another county
[]: I Will look
[rleach]: chris did john cull stay in ireland or did he leave
[rleach]: chris i found a john cull born in armagh in 1863 in the 81 northumberland census
What occupation is a hawker
[]: they sell wares rosie
[]: ta spacey
[rleach]: ok i though maybe they trained the birds
[northend]: A hawker sells goods using a vehicle...a pedlar goes on foot
[rleach]: chris are you back yet
[rleach]: i found a john cull brn in 1863 in c armagh in the 81 cenus for morthampton living as a lodger with a family and 6 other guys from arnagh all hawkers
[rleach]: living with the whittaker family
[northend]: a hawker....travels and trades using a horse and cart, or other vehicle, and goes from town to town and other mens houses selling.......cannot remember the rest
[northend]: goods, wares or merchandise..
[rleach]: this family hang with them all were hawker i gues that would be your first department store lol
[northend]: Well, sort of !
[rleach]: chris did your john go to england
[]: If that is not your man rleach there are several John Culls living in Co. Down close to the Co. Border with Co. Armagh
[rleach]: chris weren't you looking for john cull
[rleach]: from armaagh
[rleach]: chris weren't you looking for john cull yesterday if not do you remember who
[rleach]: he is not for me
[]: You told me you could not find him in Armagh and asked about another county rleach
[rleach]: yes but i just found this john cull from arnagh living in northampton england as a lodger with 5 other guys from armagh all hawkers
[rleach]: born 1863 he is 18 in 81 census
[rleach]: Household Record 1881 British Census
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Household:

Name Relation Marital Status Gender Age Birthplace Occupation Disability
Albert WHITAKER Head M Male 32 Floore, Northampton, England Engine Fitter & Publican
Louisa WHITAKER Wife M Female 28 Stoke On Trent, Stafford, England
Patrick MURPHY Lodger
[rleach]: : did it all come up
[rleach]: or only part
[]: John Cull was on Armagh board so I can take info from here and post on board
[rleach]: Albert WHITAKER Head M Male 32 Floore, Northampton, England Engine Fitter & Publican
Louisa WHITAKER Wife M Female 28 Stoke On Trent, Stafford, England
Patrick MURPHY Lodger M Male 37 C Armagh, Ireland Hawker
Thomas Boyle DILLE Lodger U Male 27 C Armagh, Ireland Hawker
Stephen MC ALLISTER Lodger U Male 20 C Armagh, Ireland Hawker
Michael MC ALLISTER Lodger U Male 18 C Armagh, Ireland Hawker
John CULL Lodger U Male 18 C Armagh, Ireland Hawker

Offline imani3100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 July 05 06:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all for all of that info on John Cull. It is very much appreciated. Do you know if Co. Down is close to Co. Armagh? I have no Idea how Ireland is laid out and have been trying to find out. On my grandmothers birth certificate it states that her mother Susan Cull was bor Co. Armagh Ireland. On Susan Cull's marriage certificate in Australia it says I think spelling is right, Killteal or Killteel Co. Down as her birth place. SO I am very confused at the moment. Once again thanks to all
Linda

Offline MRGREEN

• RootsChat Extra
  • From the WILLIAM GREEN & LETITIA WARING line.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 January 06 17:34 GMT (UK) »
I saw this on a website:-
JOHN CULL.
NEWRY CIVIL PARISH.
(marriage).
GREEN. Waringstown, Corcreeny, Magherana, Magheralin, Aghalee, Aghagallon, Crumlin, Seagoe, Lurgan, (Northern Ireland).

WARING. Waringstown House, Co. Down (Northern Ireland).

GREEN. Toowoomba, Maryborough, Gladstone, Pittsworth, Aubigny, Kilcoy, Toowong, Brisbane, Buddina (Queensland, Australia).

GREEN. (New South Wales, Northern Territory, & Western Australia).

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 08 January 06 19:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to all for all of that info on John Cull. It is very much appreciated. Do you know if Co. Down is close to Co. Armagh? I have no Idea how Ireland is laid out and have been trying to find out. On my grandmothers birth certificate it states that her mother Susan Cull was bor Co. Armagh Ireland. On Susan Cull's marriage certificate in Australia it says I think spelling is right, Killteal or Killteel Co. Down as her birth place. SO I am very confused at the moment. Once again thanks to all
Linda

Hei Linda,

You may well have looked at a map and now know how close counties Down and Armagh are to each other. In case you have not and others are wondering the same thing here is a map showing that they are adjacent. Warrenpoint and Newry are in Co. Down and Crossmaglen is in Co. Armagh. http://www.mapsworldwide.com/map_9615.htm

Best Wishes, Kris 

Offline Pat Reid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 09 January 06 06:07 GMT (UK) »
Linda:
Chris's mention of Warrenpoint and Kilkeel got my attention. Here is a  link to Ros Davies' site on County Down and you will find several Culls in the Kilkeel and South Down area including this John.
 John CULL . Kilkeel husband of Ellen McGlew/ McGee; father of John b. 10 Jul 1868 & Margaret b. 7 Feb 1871 & Edward b. 17 Feb 1874

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~rosdavies/SURNAMES/C/Cu.htm

There are many Culls listed in the Caora's head-of household index for the 1901 census including John on Newry Street, Kilkeel. http://www.caora.net/find.php Broken Link

Another site which may be of help is Raymond Kelly's. http://www.raymondscountydownwebsite.com/

Good luck,

Pat

Reid, McAlinden, Larmour, Mulholland, Kelly
Warrenpoint, Rostrevor, Rathfriland

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 09 January 06 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Linda,

It seems the New Year brings with it a new wave of enthusiasm.
You are receiving one or two site addresses in your search for Cull.

Well done Pat. That was good finding three.

Here are another two for you Linda. One refers to a Cull / Hughes marriage in the Church of Ireland at a place with the magnificent name of Knocknamuckley.

http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read/NIR-ARMAGH/1999-09/0937264056
http://www.from-ireland.net/parishrecords/down/kilkeelrc456061.htm Broken Link

Best Wishes, Chris