Author Topic: Elizabeth Milton  (Read 658 times)

Offline REhill28

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Milton
« on: Tuesday 01 July 14 01:38 BST (UK) »
I am wondering if anyone can help with a brickwall which I have been battling with for years.
I am trying to find out about my GG Grandmother Elizabeth Milton.
As you see she have birth to Edward Milton 26 May 1805 at Enstone, Oxfordshire.  I was in touch with OFHS who kindly supplied the following information.

From the OFHS PR Transcripts of Enstone:
26 May 1805  Edward MILTON son Elizabeth (base)
No other baptisms to Elizabeth and she herself was not baptised at Enstone nor was she married there subsequent to Edward's baptism and there is no marriage for an Elizabeth MILTON on the Oxfordshire Marriage Index after 1805.  Also no burial for an Elizabeth MILTON at Enstone.

According to the Phillimores Marriage Index of Bourton & Gloucestershire FHS Marriage Index, Edward MILTON was of Farmington when he married Maria HARTWELL at Bourton.

I have traced Edward and his family until his death, but my brick wall is with his mother Elizabeth.
Any hints or information would be much appreciated.
Ruth

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Milton
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 July 14 07:26 BST (UK) »
Hiya Ruth ...this may surprise you - it did me ...
Farmington to Enstone on the AA Route planner is 21 miles by road .....across land it looks to be about 14 miles ....so although they are in different Counties - they are close to each other ....which I presume means that Edward lived in that area all his life
have a look at the map
http://www.theaa.com/route-planner/index.jsp#fromNode=0%7CFarmington%7C%7C-1.804972%7C51.836107%7CtoNode=0%7CEnstone%7C%7C-1.455303%7C51.918305

so - do we now presume that Elizabeth married within this area ??
Chipping Norton
Stow on the Wold
Bourton on the water
Charlbury
Churchill
Kingdom ....are all local towns / villages to Farmington and Enstone ....I will have a look on IGI for any marriages 1805 - 1815 for Elizabeth Milton in these towns ...
ADDED....sorry - can`t find a marriage or a death up until 1820 ....
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 July 14 22:28 BST (UK) »
Outside chance but I wonder if the name was transcribed wrong originally and it wasn't Milton - is it worth looking for an Elizabeth Wilton or similar to see if one pops up :-\
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline REhill28

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 July 14 00:25 BST (UK) »
Hi... Good point. Indeed it is worth searching.
Thanks for your suggestion
Ruth   :)