Author Topic: Family search  (Read 816 times)

Offline Euell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Family search
« on: Tuesday 01 July 14 07:51 BST (UK) »
I'm new here, so I'll start here I'm searching for the Haggerty in the county of Kerry or Cork. Also need to know what clan they where under?

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Family search
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 July 14 08:14 BST (UK) »
Hi
A warm welcome to Rootschat!

If you want people to help you, you need to give a little more information about the family you are researching.

What specifically are you looking for?

What information do you already have?

Do you have any names and birthdates/marriages/deaths?

Heather

Offline Euell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 July 14 18:06 BST (UK) »
My Grandfather & Father trace the family back to the hailing Low Land Scots, but I was told the Haggards are from Ireland and this is where I'm getting mix up. The names started with Haggerty and his son O'Haggerty or the Son of Haggerty. The Grandson would revert back to Haggerty. Due to disagreement in our clan the name was changed to Haggert,Haggart, and Haggard with the O' still going to the son. I might be climbing up the wrong tree finding the Haggards in England, names maybe spelled Hogard, name Peter Hogard,date about 1621 place Yorkshire England.

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 July 14 22:11 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat ;D

Ummm you don't research family history via surnames and what your told, you really need to forget about 'clans' and surnames and go back to the last ancestor that you have real information about from primary records.
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 July 14 06:38 BST (UK) »
My Grandfather & Father trace the family back to the hailing Low Land Scots, but I was told the Haggards are from Ireland and this is where I'm getting mix up. The names started with Haggerty and his son O'Haggerty or the Son of Haggerty. The Grandson would revert back to Haggerty. Due to disagreement in our clan the name was changed to Haggert,Haggart, and Haggard with the O' still going to the son. I might be climbing up the wrong tree finding the Haggards in England, names maybe spelled Hogard, name Peter Hogard,date about 1621 place Yorkshire England.

You need to be flexible with spellings of surnames. They may not have intentionally been changed due to any disagreements, but rather spellings were not important in the past, and with so many people being illiterate, they were never checked.

If you have Scottish and Irish ancestry, what leads you to believe that Peter Hogard bc 1621 in Yorkshire is related to your family?

Agree with iluleah in that you should not get hung up with clans and surnames and suggest you start from scratch researching your family. I may be wrong, but get the impression that you are just grabbing anyone with a surname similar to Haggarty and assuming that they are your family. It doesn't work that way I'm afraid.