Author Topic: Help with William BROWN Convict  (Read 13721 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Help with William BROWN Convict
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 02 July 14 04:36 BST (UK) »
1876 …. 11 March 1876,  59 Goulburn St
6 year old Samuel BROWN sadly succumbed.  His father, William BROWN, a painter was the informant, and he gave Matilda Watson as wee Samuel’s mum.   The family were at 59 Goulburn St.

Yes, this wee lad died 1876, and aged 6.   I can find a birth registered for a Samuel R BROWN in 1868.  And after some 'fiddling' around at NSW BDM online, he was born in July 1868.   So, by March 1876 he was NOT still six years of age.  He was SEVEN, and in his eighth year.   So, I am setting that 1876 dc transcription to one side, as it is not helping to confirm or eliminate the possibility of more than one William and Matilda BROWN, he a painter, in Sydney in that era.

(NSW BDM births #2231/1868)

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 02 July 14 04:49 BST (UK) »
Not sure if this helps or not JM

SMH
Friday 3 May 1867

DEATHS. 
On the 23rd April, at the residence of his parents, 59, Dixson-street, Sydney, of bronchitis, after measles, SAMUEL, youngest son of WILLIAM and MATILDA BROWN, aged 3 years and 3  months.
---------------------------------------------------

SMH
Tuesday 14 March 1876

BROWN. —March 11, at his parents' residence, Samuel Robert, son of William and Matilda Brown, of 59, Dixon-street, aged 7  years.
--------------------------------------------------
SMH
Monday 16 November 1874

BROWN.—November 14, at the residence of his aunt, Mrs.McEldownie, Pitt-street South, John Brown, the second and beloved son of William and Matilda Brown, of East Dixon-street, aged 28 years.
---------------------------------------------------
SMH
Monday 30 December 1878

BROWN.—December 23, at the Sydney Infirmary, of liver complaint, Elizabeth, beloved daughter of William and Matilda Brown, of Dixon-street, Sydney, in her 20th year.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 02 July 14 05:02 BST (UK) »
Yes, it certainly does help giblet. 

SMH
Monday 16 November 1874

BROWN.—November 14, at the residence of his aunt, Mrs.McEldownie, Pitt-street South, John Brown, the second and beloved son of William and Matilda Brown, of East Dixon-street, aged 28 years.

For example, we now have a much less popular name and a relationship to follow up....

Fantastic, so we need to know from our OP as to how was Mrs McEldownie, of Pitt street South the AUNTIE to John.   

I did not type up the transcription but John's dc does have his place of death as Pitt Street South....

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 02 July 14 05:05 BST (UK) »
I cant find any McEldownie's in the nsw bmd  ??? Spelling error in the papers maybe.

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 02 July 14 05:07 BST (UK) »
Got it

NSW marriage

V1849484 79/1849    MCELDOWNEY    JAMES    WATSON    MARY J    JA

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 02 July 14 05:14 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I have posted a previous topic on this, however, my research has since taken a new path [http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=568668.msg4208909#msg4208909]

Just popping some live links to two threads here so we are not duplicating earlier efforts.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=568536.0   (London Board …. William Brown or Bruce)

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=568668.0  (Aussie Board William Brown or Bruce)

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 02 July 14 05:23 BST (UK) »
 :)  Well found giblet.  Our OP's bio that was sent by email to me today, does NOT have parents info about Matilda WATSON,   and you have found a sister for Matilda.   So there's a possibility of confirming info from Mary J's BDM certs  :) ....  I wonder if the Mrs Watson on the 1871 birth cert for Nathaniel could be the wife of a possible brother to these two lasses.... all speculations of course, but answers could help solve that part of this family for our OP.

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 02 July 14 05:40 BST (UK) »
Sands 1877 Sydney Directory.
Mrs M McEldowney, off 380 Pitt St

May I mention that the cutting giblet found re John BROWN’s death did not make mention of Mrs McEldownie’s husband, perhaps she was already a widow 

ADD

http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/learn/search-our-collections/sands-directory   free to search and only recently became available via City of Sydney  ;D
Cheers,  JM

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 02 July 14 05:43 BST (UK) »

Also from City of Sydney assessment books

Denison 1880      53 15 15             
42 Dixon Street          Mary J McEldowney
Owner...... J Chard......... House £18