Author Topic: Help with William BROWN Convict  (Read 13708 times)

Offline Akira01000

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Help with William BROWN Convict
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 01 July 14 23:28 BST (UK) »
I am surprised he or Matilda didn't die earlier. They rarely came up for air. Lots of little Brown's ;D

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0174d/      :o ;D

Neil

Hi Neil,

Indeed, no TV in those days and could explain why Brown is a common yet quite popular surname :p

Cheers
Akira

Offline Akira01000

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 01 July 14 23:30 BST (UK) »
Wouldnt Matilda Watson have been to old to be the mother of Nathaniel Brown 1871  ???

Hi Giblet,

Matilda Watson was born in 1824/25 in Faitona, Co Tyrone, Northen Ireland

Matilda would have been 47 at this time.

Cheers
Akira

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 01 July 14 23:31 BST (UK) »
I had noted that they married in Scot's Presbyterian Church Sydney. It is odd for someone from Derby. But not so, for someone from Scotland by the name of William BRUCE ::)

Neil :-\
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 01 July 14 23:37 BST (UK) »
Im having problems with NSW archives. Is there a permission to marry for William and Matilda.

Thanks Akira for clearing Matilda's age up.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 01 July 14 23:41 BST (UK) »

How have you identified your William BROWN to be a convict?

Offline Akira01000

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 01 July 14 23:43 BST (UK) »
I had noted that they married in Scot's Presbyterian Church Sydney. It is odd for someone from Derby. But not so, for someone from Scotland by the name of William BRUCE ::)

Neil :-\

Hi Neil

They were married in St Andrew's Scots church I too thought this was strange, as william George Brown was bapt in St Lawrence a CoE church both in Sydney.

However there were a number of convict marriages performed here from what I've been told.

Cheers
Akira

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 02 July 14 00:41 BST (UK) »
Children
William George Brown 1843
John Brown 1845
Mary Brown 1848
Sarah Brown 1850
Matilda Brown 1852
Elizabeth Brown 1859
Rebecca Brown 1861
Samuel Brown 1864 -1867
Samuel Robert Brown 1868
Nathaniel Brown 1871

Do you have Nathaniel BROWN's birth cert (or an official transcription of it) ... if so, does IT give you confirmation of Nathaniel's older siblings? 

And from that 1871 birth cert, what does it tell you about the INFORMANT? (who was the informant, could he/she read/write ..... did they sign or make their mark ..... what was Dad's occupation, where were they living .... was it likely they had a strong accent .... etc)   

The record should give you the Date and place of birth for Nathaniel,and his given name/s and if Nathaniel was present when his birth was being registered. 

It should also state that he was a Boy/Male and his Father's full names (given and surname) and occupation, age and where born. 

Then it should give you when and where  Nathaniel's parents were married, and the details of the previous issue of the marriage ( usually in chronological order) and then Mum's name, maiden surname, age and birthplace.   

Then the name of the informant, their relationship to the baby, and their usual address.    Then the witnesses to the birth, and then the name of the registrar, the date registered and where it was originally registered.

So if you have the NSW BDM cert, then look back at the column headed "Date and place of birth of child" and notice that to the left of that column there is another narrow column.  There is a number in it.  That is the line number of the local register where the birth was initially registered.   

1859/1871    BROWN    NATHANIEL    WILLIAM    MATILDA    SYDNEY 

I think this birth was early July 1871, as per NSW BDM new search engine option.  :)

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 02 July 14 00:54 BST (UK) »
From the Records section of Family Search ..... they seem to have indexed TWO marriages that are likely of interest.  So this seems to be pointing to at least TWO lasses named Matilda WATSON in Sydney in 1843  :)  .... not impossible, but definitely not as likely as finding two males named William BROWN :)  :)

William BROWN married Matilda WATSON 4 December 1843, St Andrews Parish, Sydney NSW
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTZD-LH4

and

William BROWN married Matilda WATSON 4 November 1843, Sydney NSW.
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTZS-4B7

May I suggest you consider ordering the two images.
 http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=685720.0

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 02 July 14 01:00 BST (UK) »
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTCJ-SS4

William George BROWN, born 17 May 1843, baptised at St Lawrence (likely the temporary building for Christ Church St Lawrence) on 1 Nov 1843.  His parents recorded as William BROWN and Matilda WATSON.

Akira, do you have that document?  If so, what occupation did the Rev record for William please?

Cheers,  JM (I have ummmm..... loads of info on various BROWN families in NSW long before the Gold Rushes)....