Author Topic: Occupations For Members of the Geoghegan Family on US Censuses.  (Read 1034 times)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Occupations For Members of the Geoghegan Family on US Censuses.
« on: Tuesday 01 July 14 23:45 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I am unable to read clearly the occupations for some members of the above mentioned Geoghegan family & am hoping someone is able to help.

Firstly on the 1900 Census, The family are at 2913, North Fourth Street, Philadelphia. The eldest two sons John A & Henry Geoghegan have the same occupation, something carpenter? Here is a link to the census page on familysearch: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-11816-66740-75

Next is the 1940 Census for the above John A Geoghegan. His family are at 5728, North Fourth Street, Philadelphia. The cousin Catherine Geoghegan is something in a Cigar Company, but what? Here is a link to the census page on familysearch: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1971-27812-13466-31

Lastly there is John A's brother Thomas Geoghegan & his son William whose occupations I am not entirely certain of. Thomas & family are at 1819, Newton Street, Washington, Columbia. Thomas is I think a Judicator? but not sure of the industry in the next column. William is a Repairman for a Retail Refrigeration something, but what? Again here is a link to the census page on familysearch: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1942-27893-12113-33

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Occupations For Members of the Geoghegan Family on US Censuses.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 July 14 23:53 BST (UK) »
Have not come to any conclusions yet, but am not convinced that the word is Carpenter.
It looks like Car(p or f) _l _er.
I will keep looking.  :)

Do you have the two men on any other census or document which gives their occupations? (wondering if they are related to Carpenter)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 July 14 23:57 BST (UK) »
I see John is a Watchman in the 1940 census.  :-\
I think Catherine is a Wraper in Cigar Company. (minus a p)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 July 14 00:02 BST (UK) »
Judicator Railroad Retirement Board perhaps?
Cannot decipher the word after Refrigeration for William's occupation.

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 July 14 00:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruskie,

Many thanks for that, much appreciated.

Just had a quick look at other records that I have for them. Brother Lawrence was a Carpet Weaver on his WW1 (1917-18) Draft Registration Card. Also John & Henry (Harry) are both working for Carpet Companies on there WW2 (1942) Draft Registration Cards. I wonder therefore if it isn't actually something Carpet W? What do you reckon?

Just caught your last two posts as I was typing the above! ;D

Judicator, Railway Retirement Board was what I thought but wasn't certain. Didn't want to muddy the waters with what I thought it was straight away! ;D

I wonder if the last word for William's occupation might be 'Shop' but again wasn't certain & didn't want to confuse issues! ;D

As regards Catherine being a wrapper, I'll need to take another look but it would fit with her working in a Cigar Company.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 July 14 00:29 BST (UK) »
A carpet related occupation seems logical, but I keep seeing Carpilter. It could be CarpetW (or similar) - the t is not crossed, but there are other ts on the page which are also not crossed.

I don't think the word after Refrigeration is shop though, due to lack of ascenders or descenders.  :-\

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 02 July 14 00:32 BST (UK) »
The word before Carpe??? looks like it has been struck through and another word added. Someone may be able to enhance it to make it readable ....

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 02 July 14 00:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruskie,

There does as you say seem to be another word(s) above the word before Carpe(t) for both John & Henry, but it is rather indistinct as you alluded to.

I am not convinced that the word after Refrigeration is 'Shop' either, just trying to see what would fit! ;D

Many thanks for your assistance, much appreciated.

Kind regards

David

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 02 July 14 01:12 BST (UK) »
"Judicator" should be adjudicator - here is an example from the internet.

O.H. Iverson, Regional Adjudicator, Railway Retirement Board, 1949