Author Topic: HMT Lancashire  (Read 2084 times)

Offline Jim Tilbury

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HMT Lancashire
« on: Wednesday 02 July 14 14:53 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find the date in 1954 that I sailed to Kure from Liverpool on the Lancashire. I know that it was between July and December. I remember that a lad fell down some stairs and died from his injuries and we buried him at sea.
Hope you can help

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
Re: HMT Lancashire
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 July 14 15:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim,
   Welcome to rootschat  :)

I wonder if it is worth posting on this site http://limostwanted.wordpress.com/hmtroopship-memoirs/lancashire/  which encourages reminisces of journeys aboard HMT lancashire. 

regards,
   Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline leighton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 July 14 13:34 BST (UK) »
Hello Jim,

I found these two articles about HMT Lancashire in 1954. Is this the voyage that you are looking for? There is no mention of the departure date from Japan, presumably it was sometime in August.

The Times dated 27 August 1954 reported:
Death in Troopship
From Our Correspondent
Liverpool, Aug 26
Liverpool detectives will board the troopship Lancashire, now on her way from Japan, when she reaches the Mersey early on Monday, to make inquiries about the death of a member of the crew. The captain of the ship radioed the Liverpool managers, and the next of kin of the dead man have been informed.
It is understood he was the ship’s butcher, and that his death followed an incident involving other members of the crew.

The Times dated 30 August 1954 reported:
Detectives Meet Troopship
Liverpool detectives left the Mersey by tender yesterday to meet the troopship Lancashire from Japan to make inquiries into the death of a ship’s butcher named William Crellin, of Mossley Hill, Liverpool. Statements will be taken from members of the crew. The Lancashire is due in Liverpool early this morning. A Liverpool solicitor will meet the ship on its arrival.

Regards
leighton

Offline Jim Tilbury

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 July 14 14:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Leighton,
Thank you for your response to my question but I am afraid  it doesn't answer it. I sailed from Liverpool and the poor lad who died was a squaddie. I can't remember what mob he was in.
Thanks anyway.
Best regards.
Jim

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 July 14 18:26 BST (UK) »
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022