Author Topic: Another uniform to identify.  (Read 530 times)

Offline gbuttery

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Another uniform to identify.
« on: Wednesday 02 July 14 21:22 BST (UK) »
Can anyone recognise this uniform my grandad is wearing?
I know he was in the Durham Light Infantry - 19th Batallion - the Bantams. - But there doesn't appear to be any badges from the DLI on this uniform. All I can make out are the crossed flags on his sleeve. Unfortunately there is no cap that might help.
This is the only photograph I have of him in uniform. But which uniform?

Looking for ALMEY / ARTON / ASSERT/ ATKIN / BOWMAN / BRANTON / BRIGGS / BUTTERY / CAMPEY / CARLILE / CARTER / CLIFFE / FARNELL / FORD / FOWL/ FROKINGHAM / FROW / GIESLER / GODDARD / HODGE / KIDD / MAUD / MEINECKE / PEERS / POOL / PROCTER / ROBINSON / SMITH  / SPEED / TRIMINGHAM / TUTE / UFFINDELL / WINN

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Another uniform to identify.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 July 14 21:46 BST (UK) »
Good evening,

The crossed flags tell us he was a signaller by trade. The 2 small chevrons on the other sleeve are for overseas service. These were started by army order no 4 1918, dated 20th Dec 1917 for service overseas from 5th Aug 1914. The first was red if you left the UK before 31st Dec 1914. Then for each 12 mths you got another in blue.

The fact he is wearing them tells us the photo is Dec 18 or later and he served abroad for 2 yrs prior to that.

I don't know what the slip ons are on his epaulettes or the band around the left sleeve. Will work on that.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 July 14 21:50 BST (UK) »
Its post January 1918 with the overseas chevrons and he looks to be a signaller... the crossed flags is a trade badge.... other than that British Ww1 did he go officer? Was thinking maybe they signify officer cadet?

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline gbuttery

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 July 14 22:03 BST (UK) »
I don't believe he was anything other than a private, but he was definately a signaller!

His medal card gives the dates 1914-20. Not sure if they are the actual dates he served.
He enlisted with the 23rd Battalion Durham Light Infantry, but served overseas with the 19th Battalion- Bantams
The 19th (Bantam) Battalion DLI was formed in 1915. They served:-
1916 Bazentin, Somme.
1917 Ypres.
1918 Albert, Somme, Ypres, Courtrai.

I know he was in the Somme, but haven't got any dates. Unforntunately, I never talked with him about his service.

Looking for ALMEY / ARTON / ASSERT/ ATKIN / BOWMAN / BRANTON / BRIGGS / BUTTERY / CAMPEY / CARLILE / CARTER / CLIFFE / FARNELL / FORD / FOWL/ FROKINGHAM / FROW / GIESLER / GODDARD / HODGE / KIDD / MAUD / MEINECKE / PEERS / POOL / PROCTER / ROBINSON / SMITH  / SPEED / TRIMINGHAM / TUTE / UFFINDELL / WINN

Offline gbuttery

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 July 14 22:06 BST (UK) »
It's interesting you say the photo is post 1918.
My mum always believed this to be a wedding photo, but they were married Nov 1913, so obviously not.

Offline alanmack

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 July 14 23:50 BST (UK) »
Cancel that question.  ::)
Glamorgan - Carpenter, Chamberlain, Ellis, Watkins, Rees, Bevan
Wiltshire - Carpenter, Chamberlain, Ellis, Merrett
Essex - Burdon, Taylor, Menzies
Canada - Burdon, Parkinson
Australia - Carpenter, Burdon