Author Topic: JOHN O'BRIEN - TATE AND LYLE LIVERPOOL  (Read 4595 times)

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
Re: JOHN O'BRIEN - TATE AND LYLE LIVERPOOL
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 06 July 14 17:09 BST (UK) »
I haven't got any German sugar workers in my tree but I do have some German ancestry this is my website about them:-

http://albach.webs.com/

Blue

Thank you, Blue.  Beautifully presented research.

I'm always pleased for folk who manage to trace their German ancestry ... my website is the result of not being able to do so.   :)
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Offline Marieeliz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 06 July 14 18:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Blue, I cannot recall any significant information only that the Coroner signed it and the death was given, I think, as alcoholism, although it did not say that directly. No residence was given nor occupation. That is why I assumed the person was homeless and perhaps a vagrant. I am no longer a member of Liverpool Family History Society and although I sent the certificates to them you have to be a member to access any certificates which have been passed onto them. I am locked out if I try and access their forum.

I will rejoin when I come back from holiday, I am getting ready to go to Canada in 10 days or so.
France, Williams, O'Brien

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 06 July 14 19:13 BST (UK) »
I wonder who buried John O'Brien 62. You would expect that sort of death to be followed by burial at Walton Park paid for by the parish. There must have been family or friends around to pay for the single interment at Ford Cemetery. The problem with death certificates involving the Coroner is they are the informant so you don't usually get family information.

Blue

Offline Marieeliz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 06 July 14 21:49 BST (UK) »
If I get the information from the death certificate, is there anyway I can find that particular Coroners report to get more detail?

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 06 July 14 22:54 BST (UK) »
There's only very basic information on microfilm at the Liverpool Record Office so it's unlikely there will be more information there. The full case record has not survived there's information here about these records:-

http://www.forum.liverpool-genealogy.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=11685

Blue

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 07 July 14 15:51 BST (UK) »
These are the details from the two death certificates already ordered:-

John O'Brien, 31st Aug 1900, 62, General Porter, Pneumonia, 23 Milton St Islington Liverpool

John O'Brien, 30th April 1892, 52, Labourer, 9 Bronte St Mount Pleasant, Pneumonia, died in Liverpool Workhouse

Blue

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 07 July 14 16:17 BST (UK) »
This one lived in the same part of Liverpool as your John O'Brien:-

John O'Brien, 30th April 1892, 52, Labourer, 9 Bronte St Mount Pleasant, Pneumonia, died in Liverpool Workhouse

Blue

Offline Marieeliz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 07 July 14 17:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this information Blue. I probably dismissed it because Bronte Street was never mentioned. Peach St. was, also Edward St. and Ainsworth Street. My Mum's family lived all around that area. My Grandad France was born in Duckinfield St. and that street is given on census records as his place of birth. Collingwood St. is also a street were the France family lived quite a few of the France's lived in that street. So the O'Brien's and the France's lived near one another. My Mum was 99 when she died in 2004 and was as "sharp as a pin" until the end.

I am stuck now then?As I don't suppose Workhouse records are available. I  am wondering if he did have an accident and perhaps died later of pneumonia. I was even told "he fell into a VAT"! I am now looking to see if Mary Ann O'Brien, John and Mary's elder daughter, who had a son  also called Thomas was the one who actually died aged 4 in a house fire. All help much appreciated.

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 07 July 14 18:40 BST (UK) »
There are records for the Liverpool Workhouse in the Liverpool Record Office you might be able to get more information about this man and his family from the records held on microfilm there.

I'll send you the details about getting the certificate back in a private message.

Blue