Author Topic: JOHN O'BRIEN - TATE AND LYLE LIVERPOOL  (Read 4586 times)

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: JOHN O'BRIEN - TATE AND LYLE LIVERPOOL
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 05 July 14 18:46 BST (UK) »
Where did John O'Brien 62 die? What did the Coroner say about his death?

Blue

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 05 July 14 20:55 BST (UK) »
John O'Brien does not (yet) appear on my database of sugar refinery workers at  www.mawer.clara.net/sugaroo.html , nor is there (yet) an O'Brien fatality listed on the fatalities page of the same website at  www.mawer.clara.net/fatalities.html .

This does not mean that your story is in anyway false, but simply that maybe he did not work at Tate's at census time, and that the accident has not come to my notice yet.

Garstonite's suggestion that you search the deaths and inquests in the Liverpool newspapers is your best hope, I think. Experience has shown that it's the newspapers that report such fatalities in all of the sugar refining towns/cities. Interestingly, such accidents are not mentioned in the books about Tate & Lyle, Liverpool.

Henry Tate's refinery was in Love Lane, Liverpool, and did not become Tate & Lyle until 1921.

Will happily add details of John O'Brien to the database if there is written confirmation of him working in the sugar industry.
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 05 July 14 20:58 BST (UK) »
John O'Brien does not (yet) appear on my database of sugar refinery workers at  www.mawer.clara.net/sugaroo.html , nor is there (yet) an O'Brien fatality listed on the fatalities page of the same website at  www.mawer.clara.net/fatalities.html .

This does not mean that your story is in anyway false, but simply that maybe he did not work at Tate's at census time, and that the accident has not come to my notice yet.

Garstonite's suggestion that you search the deaths and inquests in the Liverpool newspapers is your best hope, I think. Experience has shown that it's the newspapers that report such fatalities in all of the sugar refining towns/cities. Interestingly, such accidents are not mentioned in the books about Tate & Lyle, Liverpool.

Henry Tate's refinery was in Love Lane, Liverpool, and did not become Tate & Lyle until 1921.

Will happily add details of John O'Brien to the database if there is written confirmation of him working in the sugar industry.

He does appear on your website but different spelling of the surname. I've checked old newspapers but no mention of the death.

Blue

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 05 July 14 21:12 BST (UK) »
How right you are, Blue ... 1881, John O'Brian, 46 Ainsworth St.  Good spot, thank you.

So the first part of the story is correct, he did work at a sugar refinery, and it could have been Tate's (opened in 1872). In 1891 he is listed as a general labourer, which may have been at Tate's but might have been anywhere ... but when and where did he die ?
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 05 July 14 21:33 BST (UK) »
I'm curious about the death certificate for John O'Brien 62 he looked like a good match to me. The burial record says Liverpool Coroner where it usually has residence. This means he had a sudden or violent death necessitating an inquest into how he died. Where did this man die and what other details were provided?

Blue

Offline Marieeliz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 05 July 14 21:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all the information. As I said I have passed this certificate to Liverpool Family History Society as it did not give any details of residence or family. I got the impression that the person was sleeping on the street and was homeless.

I had a similar problem with the spelling of my mothers family name which in one census was listed as Francis not France. The family spell it with the e now.
France, Williams, O'Brien

Offline Marieeliz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 05 July 14 21:47 BST (UK) »
Forgot to mention I have looked at deaths and inquests on the list and there is no one by that name. Although there is a gap as 1891 is missing on both inquests and deaths.
France, Williams, O'Brien

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 06 July 14 16:14 BST (UK) »
I'm curious about the death certificate for John O'Brien 62 he looked like a good match to me. The burial record says Liverpool Coroner where it usually has residence. This means he had a sudden or violent death necessitating an inquest into how he died. Where did this man die and what other details were provided?
Blue

... and there should have been an 'occupation' and 'cause of death', which may help us with this.

Marieeliz ... maybe you could ask Liverpool Family History Society for this information.

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 06 July 14 16:26 BST (UK) »
Blue

... and there should have been an 'occupation' and 'cause of death', which may help us with this.

Marieeliz ... maybe you could ask Liverpool Family History Society for this information.

I usually scan all my certificates even the wrong ones for easy access. I've found out later on in a couple of cases the people with the same names, although not the people I thought they were, were actually related to those I was researching.

I haven't got any German sugar workers in my tree but I do have some German ancestry this is my website about them:-

http://albach.webs.com/ 

Blue