Author Topic: Where is Caolasraide or Coalasraide, Argyll?  (Read 13279 times)

Offline iancraw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where is Caolasraide or Coalasraide, Argyll?
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 13 September 23 01:52 BST (UK) »
Subject: Reviving the Discussion on Caolasraide

Hi, here is part 2 of my planned 3 postings to restart the discussion on where is Caolasraide.

A.   Introduction

To assist in our discussion about Caolasraide, I've compiled key references from "Some Sketches of the Early Highland Pioneers of the County of Middlesex." These references shed light on individuals who originated from Caolasraide. In this post, I will present the information from the book and provide a few insights based on comparisons with other records. In my subsequent post, I will explain how this information could be instrumental in uncovering the precise location of Caolasraide. My hope is that organizing this information will aid others in their research and potentially lead to collaborative efforts in investigating this intriguing historical mystery. Note that square brackets indicate information I have added to the 1979 edition text.

B.   Relevant Portions from the Book

Section: Pioneer Ministers and Movements

Page 15
Duncan Lamont was born in Caolasraide, South Knapdale, in 1802, and came to Lobo in 1820. He professed conversion, was baptized in 1829, soon after ordained a deacon, and preached in Lobo, Caradoc, and other places for 37 years, till his death in 1867.

Section: Township of Caradoc

Page 35
Archie Fletcher, Caolasraide, 1842, c., Archie, Neil, Dugald, Duncan, Nancy (Mrs. McKenzie), Mary (Mrs. A. McLellan), Margaret (Mrs. D. McGugan), Jennie (Mrs. A. McGugan)

Malcolm Crawford, Caolasraide, 1842, c., Archie (Lobo), Dugald, Dr. Allan. Malcolm, Mrs. Arch. Fletcher [Margaret Crawford], all d.

John Crawford, Caolasraide, 1835, c., Archie, Duncan

Charles McLean, Caolasraide, 1831, d. in Enniskillen, c., Malcolm, Allan, Annie (Mrs. Keith) Sarah (Mrs. A. Johnston). Mary (Mrs. D. Turner), Catherine (Mrs. A. Duncan), Bella

Allan McLean, Caolasraide, 1831, c, John, Hector, Allan, Archie, Charles, Duncan, M. D., at Deckerville. Mich., Isabella at home

Duncan McLean. Caolasridae 1831, c., John L., in Strathroy, Charles A.

Section: Township of Lobo

Page 38
Donald Lamont, Caolasraide, 1820, c., Duncan, Peter, John, Mary m. Donald Johnson, Isabella m. Sylvester Campbell, Rachel m. Donald Sinclair, Christie m. Duncan Graham

Widow (of Archibald) Johnson [Margaret McMurphy], Caolasraide, 1820 (family record further on):
Page 40 Married Archibald Johnson at Tabert, came to Lobo in 1820, c. Alexander, Effie, Donald, Nancy, Hugh, Bella, Margaret, John, Dugald, Archibald, Mary (ten born in Scotland and one after 1821). The father was accidentally drawing in the Thames in the spring of 1821.

Page 39
Dugald McMurphy, Caollasraide, 1842, c., John, Arch., Duncan, Dugald, Donald, Alex., Christie (Mrs. D. Root), Nancy (Mrs. John Edwards), Flora (Mrs. Thos. Edwards), Bella (Mrs. James Campbell), Mary (Mrs. Rowe)

Dugald Carmichael, Caolasraide, 1842, (moved to Petrolea), c., John, Mrs. Anderson, Mrs. Barry,
Mrs. Butterworth

Page 39-40
Archibald McGugan, Coalasraide. 1828. c. John. Archie. Duncan. Flora (Mrs. Currie), Sarah (Mrs. Anderson), Margaret, Mary

C.   Insights and Commentary

In this post, I have maintained the spellings as found in the 1979 edition, the original 1904 used the spelling of "Caolasraide" except for 1 typo of "Caolasraie."

Regarding Hugh McColl's book, I am using the term "place of origin" for Caolasraide. While I've searched within the book, except for Duncan Lamont, I have not found clarification on whether this represents the birthplace or a residence at some point in these individuals' lives. It's essential to note that the children mentioned in the book are not necessarily born in Scotland; for many individuals, most of their children were born in Canada. Also, it will take further effort to find the spouses of individuals, it appears the spouses are listed with their families. Sharing the same last name does not necessarily provide conclusive proof of a familial relationship. Despite longstanding speculation, there are no records to definitively establish a connection between John Crawford and Malcolm Crawford.

The book does specify that the year mentioned is when these pioneers settled in the stated township. I suspect that the information was sourced from local township offices, where land records would have documented the initial possession of properties.

I hope these clarifications enhance the understanding of what is found in Hugh McColl's book, making it more informative and engaging for fellow genealogy enthusiasts. For those who have connections with anybody listed above I am interested in learning more about the people you are researching.

Warm Regards, iancraw

Offline iancraw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 13 September 23 02:53 BST (UK) »
Subject: Collaborative Efforts to Uncover the Mystery of Caolasraide

Hello, fellow genealogy enthusiasts,

As we delve deeper into the quest to uncover the secrets of Caolasraide, I want to express my unwavering enthusiasm for this endeavor. Allow me to share a family story of those who have searched for this elusive place. Around 1980, my aunt wrote to a university in Scotland in pursuit of information about Caolasraide. Her hopes were high, however, the university responded with a reference from Ontario instead of Scotland. While I can't be certain, my best guess is that this reference was the 1903 letter to the Argyllshire Advertiser, documented in a 1977 genealogy magazine. The author of this letter was a contributor to the book "Some Sketches of the Early Highland Pioneers of the County of Middlesex." I would like to post the article but found it is too large. I will see if I can reduce the size and post later.

It's possible that no official Scottish record exists for Caolasraide, making it challenging to pinpoint its location definitively. However, I hold out hope that someone among us may have access to a Scottish record that mentions Caolasraide. In reply #7, a forum user named Gadget recalled seeing Caolasraide on a baptism record for Kilcalmonell and Kilberry, though details about the person and date were missing.

My primary goal is to unravel the lives of the individuals listed as originating from Caolasraide. To achieve this, I'm starting with Canadian records to match families and gather reliable birth years. The next phase involves searching Scottish records for individuals and family members to identify locations and patterns that could shed light on Caolasraide's whereabouts. This is where your invaluable insights and knowledge can play a pivotal role.

On page 15 of the book, it states that Duncan Lamont was born in Caolasraide, South Knapdale, in 1802. I've delved into the 1790 Statistical Account of South Knapdale, yet I'm still not entirely clear on whether the parish of Kilcalmonell and Kilberry would be included in South Knapdale or considered distinct.

If any of you have alternative ideas or strategies for uncovering the mysteries of Caolasraide, please don't hesitate to share them. Your perspectives are invaluable, and together, we can make progress that we might not achieve individually.

Before closing, I will share one more personal story about my search for Caolasraide.  The first tangible evidence of Caolasraide I ever saw was a barn. Near Poplar Hill Ontario, there was a barn with painted large letters “Caolasraide,” attesting to another family’s link to their past. If anyone recalls this or has information about the family please share. 

I eagerly anticipate hearing your thoughts and insights.
Warm regards,
iancraw

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 13 September 23 11:20 BST (UK) »
I've delved into the 1790 Statistical Account of South Knapdale, yet I'm still not entirely clear on whether the parish of Kilcalmonell and Kilberry would be included in South Knapdale or considered distinct.
It depends whether you are talking about parishes, which have defined borders, or areas which do not.

Knapdale is not a formally defined area, but it is the area south of the Crinan Canal and north of the isthmus at Tarbert.

Kilberry is on the southern coast of this area.

See attached screenshot from the Statistical Account of Scotland. This makes it clear that Kilberry is in Knapdale but Kilcalmonell is in Kintyre, and, further, that the parish of Kilberry is south-west of the parish of South Knapdale. (In other words, at that time the parish of South Knapdale was not the furthest south part of Knapdale.)

The parish of Kilcalmonell and Kilberry and the parish of South Knapdale are mutually exclusive, but both are in the south of the area known as Knapdale. At a later date (1891) the parish of Kilberry was detached from the united parish of Kilcalmonell and Kilberry, and attached to the parish of South Knapdale, which thus became the most southerly part of Knapdale.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 13 September 23 11:37 BST (UK) »
I believe that I have read far enough to understand that the Caolas on Tyree and the aforementioned district of Caolislate or Caolisraide are not the same.
Correct.

Caolas (from caol meaning thin or narrow) is a very common element in Gaelic place names, and means a narrow stretch of water. It is often anglicised as kyle or kyles.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 13 September 23 11:53 BST (UK) »
I note with interest that one some older maps, the ridge of hills that runs south-west to north-east across Knapdale is labelled Killislate. See https://maps.nls.uk/view/216442881, for example.

The letter c in Gaelic is equivalent to k in English. L and r can be interchanged in some instances, and d, phonetically speaking, is the voiced equivalent of t. So in terms of phonetics, Caolasraide and Killislate could be equivalent.

This presents a dilemma, however. Killislate could not remotely be considered a fishing village, let alone a narrow stretch of water.

What I think you need to do is go through the originals of all the baptisms in the parish of Kilcalmonell and Kilberry, and make a note of any that mention Caolasraide/Caolaslait/Killislate or any similar-sounding name (beginning with c or k, including l or r, and the last consonant either d or t - c/k*l*r*d/t*) and see what you have got.

You should be able to rent a microfilm of the parish register at any LDS church Family History Centre. Alternatively you could view some or all of the 260 pages of the Kilcalmonell and Kilberry parish register online at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk at a cost of GBP 1.50 per page. Might be cheaper than travelling to an LDS Church FHS!

Offline Wes38

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 16 January 24 13:38 GMT (UK) »
I ran across this thread while researching Dugald McMurphie and Christy McLachlan who married in Tarbert in 1825 and emigrated in 1842 to Lobo.  They and their children are referenced in the pioneer document.  I will come back when I have sufficient additional or wilkl respond to questions.

Wes McLachlan