Author Topic: Seeking Family of School Masters A Hickson & W. T. Phillips, Bala Grammar 1877  (Read 14562 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking Family of School Masters A Hickson & W. T. Phillips, Bala Grammar 1877
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 08 July 14 15:04 BST (UK) »
Yes I do...it would make a great canvas print wouldn't...certainly worth a thought...someone may also recognise an ancestor!!!!
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking Family of School Masters A Hickson & W. T. Phillips, Bala Grammar 1877
« Reply #19 on: Friday 29 August 14 22:36 BST (UK) »
just wondering what the outcome of this was ?
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 30 August 14 08:50 BST (UK) »
Hi...I sent a high resolution copy of the photo to the tree owner with a link to this thread...I never got a reply  >:( I'm glad I didn't post the original.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 30 August 14 09:18 BST (UK) »
I passed the school / restaurant  again in Bala last week and just  thought about it again.

As for the tree owner, I would be tempted to ask they if they had received it.  ;)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 30 August 14 09:44 BST (UK) »
Yes I did send a message asking if they received the email...I also checked the following day to see if they had been on Ancestry and they had...so I sent another message saying that I was disappointed in the lack of response to the photo I sent them...I haven't heard from them neither by email or Ancestry message.
Carol

Offline Wulfsohn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 26 March 15 18:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I hope I am not too late to this chat. But I have something of interest to add. My great uncle, who lived most his life in Cape Town, South Africa, was a collector of art and also antique books. In his collection, I found a book of French poetry awarded to one William Given Jones of Balla Grammar School, on prize day in July 1878, and awarded by no other than our esteemed William T. Phillips. Look at the inscription on the inner front cover, and you will note that the handwriting is identicle to that on the back of the photograph that began is search. How this book ended up in South Africa is another mystery that one more industrious than me could research. Possibly William Jones immigrated to the country later in his life. See attached pictures of the book and the inscribed inner cover. Thoughts?

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 26 March 15 19:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat...good to hear from you and your interesting input....your pictures didn't attach....if you try again you will need to rename the file.
Carol

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 26 March 15 19:58 GMT (UK) »
How interesting
Could this be  William Given Jones, but I can find no - one with that middle name.

http://welshnewspapers.llgc.org.uk/en/page/view/3308974/ART37/%20bala%20grammar%20school

I wonder if this is W G Jones, sadly no Christian names are given, only details of fathers.
EXTRA PRIZES.—French ;
 Jones, sextus (son of Mr. W. Jones, North and S. Wales Bank, Portmadoc), "Enfnces Celebres."

Offline Wulfsohn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 26 March 15 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Had trouble posting the pictures using ipad. Trying again with PC.