Author Topic: Durham Light Infantry, World War I  (Read 2039 times)

Offline Viann Powers

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Durham Light Infantry, World War I
« on: Tuesday 08 July 14 01:16 BST (UK) »
An Ancestor, William Edward Snowball was a private in the Durham Light Infantry in WWI.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Durham Light Infantry, World War I
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 July 14 01:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Viann

Welcome to Rootschat.

I have numerous Snowballs in my tree - if you navigate to Forums, England General and then Durham you'll see I've made quite a few postings recently asking for help with some of them.

By WWI my male Snowball line had died out, but I have a descendent Thomas Snowball Winter who also died in WWI.

Is there any particular information you are looking for?
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline BOJANGELS2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 May 15 19:22 BST (UK) »
HI, is there any lists anywhere of the people who signed up for the durham light infantry in WW1 , I have a photograph of a man in the same mentioned uniform, I know hes a relation ,but unsure who , I wondered if there was any lists of names I could look through to match him up thank you in advance
Clarke---- wotton under edge Gloucestershire and widnes Lancashire
GOODE  stourport /Kidderminster /Huddersfield
Holloran ---galway Ireland

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 May 15 21:08 BST (UK) »
Not all records survive today for soldiers who served in The Durham Light Infantry (or any other Regiment or Corps) during the First World War or Great War (1914 - 1918). This makes the task of tracing a Great War soldier difficult but not impossible.
http://www.dlidurham.org.uk/Pages/WW1History.aspx

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 May 15 21:36 BST (UK) »
Hi there are some excellent books written about different battalions of the DLI by John Sheen. - see google :) They have lists of names in the back of each book, but if an ancestor was not in that part of the DLI, that wouldn't help. Do you know anymore of your relative - have you looked for medal cards of your relative which would give a service number. The  medal card should show if say one Fred
Jones was in the DLI or in another regiment. Helps if they have an unusual surname!!!
North East of England

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 May 15 08:06 BST (UK) »
The Durham Light Infantry Museum has details of Regimental and Battalion Histories etc. see http://www.dlidurham.org.uk/Pages/RegimentalBooklist.aspx
Tracing DLI Soldiers http://www.dlidurham.org.uk/Pages/Research.aspx
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BOJANGELS2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 May 15 09:19 BST (UK) »
all I know is that my nanna had a photograph of a man and lady and he was in DLI uniform, my nannas family lived in Huddersfield ,also a later family member I have found in the DLI but that was WW11 --- because my nan had this photo in with other photos of her brothers and sisters ,im presuming it was a close family member to her or her husband , surnames could be GOODE -HOUSEMAN --KNIGHT - OR CLARKE -- THESE ARE THE CLOSE NAMES TO THE FAMILY,  IT WOULD BE WW1 I THINK
Clarke---- wotton under edge Gloucestershire and widnes Lancashire
GOODE  stourport /Kidderminster /Huddersfield
Holloran ---galway Ireland