Author Topic: Braniffs of Ballygraffin, Co. Down  (Read 4225 times)

Offline damienb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Braniffs of Ballygraffin, Co. Down
« on: Monday 27 June 05 13:11 BST (UK) »
Researching my family tree I've managed to go back 4 generations from talking to family members, BDMs etc (spend a day at PRONI checking registers) but seem to have hit an impasse - possibly due to lack of existing records  :(

Research so far indicates that the family have lived in the same house since at least 1834 when, as far as I can determine, there were three brothers living in the house:

James (b c1800?) - farmer, my g-g-grandfather, had 2 children John (b1844, d30/3/1910) married Margaret Gilmore (d 3/12/1090)
Patt (b c1900?) married Ellen Lambert of Rubane. They had at least one son, Hugh who married Mary McKee and moved to Cleator Moor in Cumbria. Family eventually moved to US after Hugh died - been in touch with them.

John (b c1800). No details of who he married but there is a record of a daughter Ann (baptised 2/2/1829 - sponsors James Braniff and Mrs Dorrian).

I've one mention of an earlier James Braniff who could be the father (or the above James was a lot older than I think!).

Any advice on progressing? Further back? Other children of Patt? As Ann's mother isn't mentioned on the baptismal record, could she have died in childbirth? There's a gap in the church records so any suggestions welcome.

There are 3 parishes at the bottom end of the Ards peninsula and each has a Braniff family! In such a small area I think it probable that, somewhere back along the line, they're all related - possible/probable?

Thanks
Damien