Author Topic: Restoration of two pictures if possible - Thomas William Rowland 1824 - 1895  (Read 667 times)

Offline Dean1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • 9 brig. Royal Fusiliers War Diary (large portion)
    • View Profile
This chap is my Great Great Uncle who was a soldier in the 73rd Regiment of Foot and then an Instructor in a Volunteer Btn of the Shropshire Rifles.
The attached photos are difficult to see, especially the Scroll he received on retirement (I think from 73rd Foot).   I wondered if it would be possible to enlarge more clearly and enhance these - I would be very grateful.
Many thanks for any help.

Sue   (cannot load second photo - it is too big)
ANDERSON (Kings Lynn, Norfolk) BREWER (Somerset) BALDWIN (Catfield, Norfolk) CRONSHAW(Accrington, Lancs) DEAN (Accrington, Lancs) FOSTER, FORSTER (Astbury, Cheshire AND Canada AND U.S.A.) BRIGHT (London) ROWLAND (Essex and Hampshire) SEWARD (Petersfield, Hampshire) BAILEY/ BROWN (Biddulph, Staffordshire)

Online japeflakes

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Restoration of two pictures if possible - Thomas William Rowland 1824 - 1895
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 July 14 13:06 BST (UK) »
Not clear, sorry:

Offline Dean1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Restoration of two pictures if possible - Thomas William Rowland 1824 - 1895
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 July 14 13:18 BST (UK) »
Thankyou for that Japeflakes.

Actually I can now see "Montevideo, China, Indian Mutiny" - this obviously gives a list of where he served - so it is a definite improvement on what I put on!
Maybe it was never clear - I actually thought it was in Latin or something when I first saw it.

Thanks, Sue
ANDERSON (Kings Lynn, Norfolk) BREWER (Somerset) BALDWIN (Catfield, Norfolk) CRONSHAW(Accrington, Lancs) DEAN (Accrington, Lancs) FOSTER, FORSTER (Astbury, Cheshire AND Canada AND U.S.A.) BRIGHT (London) ROWLAND (Essex and Hampshire) SEWARD (Petersfield, Hampshire) BAILEY/ BROWN (Biddulph, Staffordshire)

Offline Dean1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 July 14 13:49 BST (UK) »
Have tried to make photo smaller but cannot do so!   Will forget that one.

Sue

Online japeflakes

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 July 14 13:52 BST (UK) »
I think you could scan it at a higher resolution (96 dpi now I think) and that might help and you can go up to a limit of 500Kb, which I am sure you know

Offline Dean1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 July 14 14:06 BST (UK) »
This is wherein lies the problem - I have absolutely no idea how to do clever things with the printer which, in any case, seems to have a mind of its own.
This is not an actual photo I am posting - it is an already a scanned copy of an actual photo which I don't have.
Sorry to be thick but my learning curve ended years ago!

Sue