Author Topic: Fitzpatrick Family in Tomintoul  (Read 5035 times)

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
Fitzpatrick Family in Tomintoul
« on: Monday 27 June 05 13:42 BST (UK) »
Hi everybody.

Having hit a brick wall with my McD's, I'm trying to help my brother research his wife's family.

Her Maiden name was Fitzpatrick. Her father Phil(ip), now in his 80's,  knows little about his family, other than that his father married twice. It could be that Phil has half-siblings he has never met.

What we know so far:
Phil's dad was Philip Edward Fitzpatrick, born about 1877 in Esh, Durham. He married for the first time around 1910.

Philip Edward's dad was Hugh Fitzpatrick, born 1842 in Cavan, Ireland. He married in Tomintoul, Scotland.  All bar one of his children were born in England before moving back to Tomintoul. From there Philip Edward moved to London and a brother went to the USA.

Hugh's father was John Fitzpatrick, details (as yet) unknown.

A bit sketchy, but maybe it rings bells with someone...?!

All the best from swelteringly hot N. Germany,
Karen
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline moscan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The next generation
    • View Profile
Re: Fitzpatrick Family in Tomintoul
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 June 05 01:55 BST (UK) »
Jessie Fitzpatrick - married to Hugh Fitzpatrick Schoolmaster died July 2nd 1913 in Main Street, Tomintoul.

She was 78 at the time of her death ( from Heart Failure ).

Her Parents are listed as William Shrew (Could be Shaw) (Farmer) and Grace Shrew nee Stuart.

The death was registered by Jessie Fitzpatrick (daughter) her address is listed as being 22 Goswell Road London.

Best Wishes

Mo
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br /><br />Researching: - Freear, Walker, Aston, Scanlan, Courtney, Lowth, O’Sulivan, McDonnell, Condon, McMahon, McKay, Brock, Gourlay, Busby<br /><br />Locations: - March in Cambridgeshire, Banbury in Oxfordshire, Mileham in Norfolk, Worcester, Evesham, Claines in Worcestershire, Birmingham. Dublin, Cork, Fermanagh in Ireland.  Glasgow, Stirling in Scotland

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 June 05 16:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Mo

Many thanks for the info. I'll pass it on to my brother straight away.

Best regards from Braunschweig,
Karen
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline CFitzp

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 July 06 08:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen,

Maybe I can help with your Fitzpatricks, as well as your McDonalds.  A friend forwarded your email from this site to me because she knows I am always searching for new Fitzpatricks.

I am the coordinator of the Fitzpatrick DNA study with Relative Genetics in Salt Lake City.  It is now in its seventh year. We have 81 members participating in our study from all over the world.  We also include members with the names Shera, McShera, Sheridan, Patrick, MOore, and Stanley, each with an historic tie to the Fitzpatricks.

I'd like to know if you would like to participate to help find your Fitzpatricks. To do so, you have to have a male Fitzpatrick represent your family (along the direct male line only).  The test involves swiping the inside of your mouth with a cotton swab.  There are a couple of levels of testing you can shoose from - I can give you the prices if you want.

Even if you'd rather not participate, or you can't because you don't have a male Fitzpatrick who can represent you, pleaes contact me anyway - We have been able to link some people in through their paper genealogies.

I have been to Belturbet, Co. Cavan, hoping to find Fitzpatricks.  I spoke with the PP there, Father Corrigan, and he gave me some info on the Fitzpatricks now living in the area, and Fitzpatricks who appear in the parish registers. The story is too long to write here, but we have a member of our study who is descended from an Edward Fitzpatrick who was kidnapped from a beach in Ireland in the mid 1700s.  His DNA has matched a Fitzpatrick who traces his family to Beltubet. So we are interested in finding Fitzpatricks particularly from Co. Cavan.

Also, I am good friends with the woman who is running the McDonald DNA study. She has made great progress tracing the McDonalds and connecting them with the Mathesons and Taggerts.  I can put you in touch if you like.

Our website where I have posted our DNA results as of January 2006 can be found at
http://www.genealogy.com/genealogy/users/f/i/t/Colleen-Fitzpatrick-CA/index.html

Alternately, go to www.genealogy.com, click on Community on the banner, click on F, then FI, then FIT, then search for my name Colleen on the page.  You will find the link to our DNA study results site.

Please feel free to contact me at *  Hope to hear from you!

Colleen
Southern California

(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline gordobre

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 February 11 07:43 GMT (UK) »
I know this is a long shot as the previous postings are quite old. I am trying to track down information on a Donald Fitzpatrick born in 1873/4 and the brother of Philip and son of Hugh. He migrated to the US in 1898 where he meet his father Hugh but Hugh returned.
I am unable to track Donald down or what happened to him as I believe I am related to him.

Not sure if Karen can help me here.

If anyone has information please let me know.

Brendon
Australia

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 12 February 11 13:22 GMT (UK) »
hi Brendon  :)

think i have found the family in durham england in 1881 census(familysearch)
donald and philip were born england
at least 4 children born scotland
father hugh fitzpatrick married jessie shaw

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline gordobre

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 12 February 11 13:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Eve

Yes aware there were Mary, Grace, John, Hugh, Donald, Jessie and Philip all children of Jessie and Hugh.
I have found Donald went to the US in 1898 and I think  John followed in 1902.
Chasing Donald to where he has ended up.

Thanks

Brendon ;D