Author Topic: Passenger John Wood and ship Rajastan 1839 ex London - look up records please  (Read 2742 times)

Offline DixieFamily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hello all

I am seeking information re family who left on the Rajasthan on 27 October 1839 via The Downs with
Captain Duncan Ritchie and arrived in Port Adelaide on 6 February 1840.

I know my family John Wood and wife Elizabeth Garside were on the ship, however I would like
to view records of their application to come to Australia, so I can get more details about them.

Any assistance or information leading me to this would be grateful.

I have viewed the National Archives in the UK, but can't see anything for this period??

regards and thanks

Chapman (South Australia)
Wood (South Australia)
Reid (South Australia and Newmilnes, Ayrshire)
Winterbottom (Liverpool)
Walker (Liverpool)

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Passenger John Wood and ship Rajastan 1839 ex London - look up records please
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 July 14 08:49 BST (UK) »
John Wood and Elizabeth nee Garside are also on the list for the Baboo arriving in 1840. A daughter is also listed with them.

http://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/fh/passengerlists/1840Baboo.gif

So they are listed on 2 ships  ??? Wonder if they missed the first one  ???

Offline DixieFamily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Passenger John Wood and ship Rajastan 1839 ex London - look up records please
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 July 14 03:13 BST (UK) »
Hi giblet - love your sense of humour!  A son was born on 20/2/1840 in SA so I am thinking it will be the Rajastan?  Perhaps not! regards ::)
Wood (South Australia)
Winterbottom (Liverpool)
Walker (Liverpool)

Offline Essie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 July 14 05:01 BST (UK) »
Hi

The cd Index for emigrants 1836-1842 have ages of both John WOODs.

On the Rajasthan - John aged 30, wife 27.
On the Baboo - John aged 25, wife 22, and daughter 2. 

Essie

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 July 14 05:12 BST (UK) »
Passenger lists quite often listed passengers simply as John WOOD, wife [and children] with ages which were often inaccurate.

A query regarding the maiden name of John WOOD's wife has been noted on the compiled passenger lists of both the RAJASTHAN and the BABOO.

TYPICAL APPLICATION FOR FREE PASSAGE TO SOUTH AUSTRALIA
Andrew SHILLABEER's application for free passage to South Australia was No. 8706 dated June 10th 1840. He gave his age (incorrectly) as 39 and his wife's as 38.
His occupation was "farm laborer" and his address (pre-embarkation lodgings) was 9 Weekes Street, Plymouth.
Separate applications for their teenage children.  Other children were not named.

Or another example

MARSH John age 42, carpenter; wife aged 41
sons: 13, 11, 9, 5; daus: 14, 7, 2
Emb No 4546
MARSH William aged 16, carpenter
Emb No 4547

The compiler of this information does not query the surname of the wife on the RAJASTHAN.  I think your couple must have emigrated on the RAJASTHAN if the date of birth for their son is accurate in the parish records.  It may be the date of his baptism only.

Did your John WOOD and wife Elizabeth nee GARSIDE emigrate with a daughter? 

http://www.familyhistorysa.info/shipping/passengerlists.html
WOOD John (died aft arrival), wife arrived in SA 6 Feb 1840 aboard RAJASTHAN from London 27 Oct 1839 [Source:2,5b,7,10,29]
2.   Register of Emigrant Labourers Applying for a Free Passage to South Australia 1836-41, PRO CO 386/149-151
5b. Burial registers
7.   Biographical Index of South Australians 1836-1885, SAGHS, 1986
10. South Australian Death Registration Certificates Index 1842-1972, Genealogy SA, 2012
29. Return of sick and destitute emigrants receiving relief 1840, SAA, GRG24/1

Biographical Index of South Australians  Not always accurate.
WOOD John.  Died 22 Jul 1840 SA,
Arrived on the RAJASTHAN
Married to unknown

WOOD John, Elizabeth GARSIDE, Dau arrived in SA 10 Mar 1840 aboard BABOO from Liverpool 24 Nov 1839 [Source:2,4,7,21,29,41]

2.   Register of Emigrant Labourers Applying for a Free Passage to South Australia 1836-41, PRO CO 386/149-151
4.   South Australian Birth Registration Certificates Index 1842-1928, Genealogy SA, 2012
7.   Biographical Index of South Australians 1836-1885, SAGHS, 1986
8.   Manifests of Vessels Arriving from Overseas 1838-42, SAA, GRG41/8 (A743)
21. Return of sick and destitute emigrants receiving relief 1840, SAA, GRG24/1
41. B Leadbeater, South Australia Births 1836-54, Adelaide, 2010-2014

Biographical Index of South Australians.  - Not identified as arriving on the RAJASTHAN

WOOD John arrived by 1840
Occupation Labourer
Lived Thebarton, Adelaide, Reedbeds
Religion Church of England
Married Elizabeth
Children Alexander 1840-1908; Frederick 1842-; Emma 1845-.

Most of the birth records prior to civil registration are from church baptism registers.  Where there is a baptism date, the place is where baptised or the residence, which may not be the birth place. The mother's maiden name and any former married names are usually added.
A son was born on 20/2/1840 in SA
WOOD Alexander born 18 Feb 1840 at Adelaide, father WOOD John, mother GARSIDE
Elizabeth
WOOD Frederick born  25 Aug 1842 at Thebarton, father WOOD John, mother GARSIDE Elizabeth

Births that were registered in South Australia..

WOOD Emma
18 Apr 1845
Father John WOOD  Mother Elizabeth GARSIDE
At Reed Beds    Ade 1/107

WOOD Mary Jane
2 Oct 1847
Father John WOOD    Mother Elizabeth GARSIDE
At Adelaide   Ade 2/21

WOOD Mary Jane
18 Oct 1849
Father John WOOD   Mother Elizabeth GARSIDE
At Gilbert   Ade2/208

Marriage notice in 1878 fora Mary Jane noting her the dau of the Late John WOOD of Saddleworth.  Wonder if it is your family.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/018c6/

Your profile has not been completed with your location. 

If you are in South Australia you could visit the State Library or SA Records to view
Register of Emigrant Labourers Applying for a Free Passage to South Australia 1836-41, PRO CO 386/149-151

and there is also a CD published by Gould Genealogy.

I have tried to find their marriage in England.  Is it possible considering their ages that it may have been a second marriage for Elizabeth.

Cheers
Cando

Oops Red warning....info from Essie :)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DixieFamily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 12 July 14 23:46 BST (UK) »
Cando - thank you for your detailed reply and information. Fantastic. (And Essie also for taking the trouble to write).

Trying to work through the information. 

Not sure if John and Elizabeth arrived with a daughter.  Census of SA in 1841 confirms there is a J Wood (only J Wood with a male child under the age of 7 in the returns - information from Graham Jaunay) and one female under 35, living in Hindley Street. So if they arrived with a daughter, then she may not be alive by 1841.

I have no document to confirm that Alexander was born in February 1840. I do have his marriage noting he was married in 1862 at the age of 22. 

So if the John Wood who arrived on the Rajasthan died on 22 July 1840, then the other John Wood who arrived on the Baboo in March 1840 could be my connection. 

However this would mean that Alexander was born on the ship? (as the ship arrived 10 March 1840)  and the 18 February 1840 was his baptism date?  Cando you note that births were registered in South Australia - could it be that he was born on the ship and then registered on arrival?   

Alexander went on to marry in the 1862 at the age of 22.

I don't live in SA (sadly as most of my research is my family there).  I didn't know about the Register of Emigrant Labourers information and will look into that further. 

regards and thanks again
t
Wood (South Australia)
Winterbottom (Liverpool)
Walker (Liverpool)

Offline Essie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 July 14 01:52 BST (UK) »
Further info from Pre Civil records on cd (Holy Trinity Register) may help?

Alexander WOOD had his birth date recorded as 13 Feb 1840 and baptism on 28 Jun 1840. Residence was Hindley Street.  Mother Elizabeth was known as Betty.

There was a burial of 2yo Charlotte WOOD of Payneham on 8 Jun 1840.

The John WOOD who died in July 1840 was recorded as a ‘Chelsea pensioner’ aged 42 and still residing at the Emigration depot. It was noted that another record had him aged 24.

Essie

Offline DixieFamily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 13 July 14 07:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Essie - some more of the jigsaw for me.  Appreciate your assistance in trying to solve my family connection.
regards
 :D
Wood (South Australia)
Winterbottom (Liverpool)
Walker (Liverpool)