Author Topic: Help reading mother's maiden name  (Read 2563 times)

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
Re: Help reading mother's maiden name
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 13 July 14 18:44 BST (UK) »
The nearest I am getting is :-

Name:    John Snedden
Spouse:    Janet Easdale
Marriage:    27 Sep 1819, Kilmarnock, Ayr, Scotland

Regards

Malky

Offline carlineric

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 13 July 14 19:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all the suggestions

Ladyhawk / Venelow

That is what I thought. The problem is the families concerned  are mainly in the Clackmannanshire area and there are no Easits in the area although there may have been a stray family crossing the border.

Ruskie

The full details of the person are

Isabella Sneddon b c 1817 in Clackmannan (from censuses)
married 1st Joseph Strang 20 November 1837 in Clackmannan, he died between 1851 and 1854
            2nd Thomas Nimmo 17 May 1887 (sadly he died 5 November 1887)
died 6 December 1893 in Linlithgow Poorhouse

On her death entry her parents are given as John Sneddon and Janet Jack. Informant is Alexander Anderson son in law with whom she was staying at the time of the 1891 census.

On her marriage entry to Thomas Nimmo her parents are  given as John Sneddon and Janet ?. Witnesses appear to be friends or acquaintances.

I initially thought her mother's first name was Isabella as there is a seventy year old Isabella Snadon living with the family at the time of the 1841 census.

LizzyFaire

Thanks. That appears to be a little known fact as many of the queries regarding deciphering entries could be solved by requesting  a rescan. I have had to request rescans many times both on the website and at the ScotlandsPeople Centre and the service you get is excellent. In this case I don't think a rescan would help.

While typing this post I had another look at the 1841 census page and I notice the next entry is for a William Snadon and family. Knowing how close the families concerned were I will try and trace him forward and hope I can find a death for him.

Thanks
Eric

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 13 July 14 19:42 BST (UK) »

I initially thought her mother's first name was Isabella as there is a seventy year old Isabella Snadon living with the family at the time of the 1841 census.

It maybe that Isabella was named after her grandmother and that's whose living with them  :-\

Don’t know if this might relate

1851 Village of Coalsnaughton New Row, Tillicoultry, Clackmannanshire
Ann SNADDEN widow 1806 Lasswade Midlothian
Ann 1832 Tillicoultry Clackmannanshire
Betsy 1834 Clackmannanshire
Bell SNADDEN mother in law widow 1771 Clackmannanshire in rect. Of parish relief

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline carlineric

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 13 July 14 20:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ladyhawk

Not spotted that one but i looks like a dead end (pardon the pun) as there are no Isabella Sn*s who died in Clackmannanshire between 1855 and 1870 and were born in 1771 +/-5 years. I have just realised that the William I found is a possible brother of her father given her age. Been looking at the 1851 census and there are few Janets of a possible age to be Isabella's mother. A search of ScotlandPeople for a death of a Jane* Sn* between 1855 and 1890 and a birth date of 1790+/-10 years in Clackmannanshire does not bring up any likely maiden surnames. Unfortunately Snaddon and its variants are very common in the area and a search further afield will have to wait until my next visit to ScotlandsPeople Centre.

Thanks
Eric

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 13 July 14 21:10 BST (UK) »
Something else to bear in mind.   There appears to be no baptisms at all for children of John Snaddon and Janet 'whatever' in the relevant place/time period.   It could be that Isabella was illegitimate as, in Scotland, children could be known by their fathers surname even if their parents weren't married.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 14 July 14 07:02 BST (UK) »
.... A search of ScotlandPeople for a death of a Jane* Sn* between 1855 and 1890 and a birth date of 1790+/-10 years in Clackmannanshire does not bring up any likely maiden surnames. .

Being a bit pedantic here, but keep in mind the spelling variations of Janet (Jannet, Janett, Jannett, Jane, etc etc). J can be confused with I. Capital S can sometimes be interpreted as a capital L ... (there are probably more  :-\)

No doubt not very useful in this search, but something to keep in mind.