Author Topic: Kitchener's Fighting Scouts  (Read 510 times)

Offline PLB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kitchener's Fighting Scouts
« on: Sunday 13 July 14 04:05 BST (UK) »
I am researching Robert Gazley Mack b 1851 Thorner, Yorkshire, England, d 1932 Harding, Natal, South Africa. There is a Robert Mack who served in Kitcher's Fighting Scouts (regimental no 1003).This Robert Mack joined in Durban, Natal.  Is there any way of getting further information. Could this be Robert G Mack? Robert G Mack went to Natal in the 1850s and married Caroline Bertha Rethman there in 1879. (I live in Australia)

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Kitchener's Fighting Scouts
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 July 14 07:32 BST (UK) »
Did you get the information about where he enlisted from the online summary or from the Attestation Form itself? The form may have next of kin details or an address. These forms were sent to London to show where its 5 shillings a day was being spent, and in my experience is the only source to the locally raised troops available.

A SA newspaper article when he died may have something. Apart from the SA section here, you could join the British Medal Forum as they have Natal based members, who may be able to help.

Ken

Offline PLB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 July 14 08:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply. I got the enlistment information from the online summary. Where in London are the attestation forms?

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 July 14 10:56 BST (UK) »
They are original documents in the National Archives

Ken