Author Topic: "park-keeper"?  (Read 2508 times)

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
"park-keeper"?
« on: Sunday 13 July 14 13:50 BST (UK) »
I had a relative in Fife in the 19th century who started off as a farm labourer but ended his days as a "park-keeper". Any ideas about what this job may have entailed? I know that "park" can often mean a field in older Scots, and certainly there were no public parks in the modern sense in the parts of rural Fife where my relative lived.

Harry

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: "park-keeper"?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 July 14 14:03 BST (UK) »
He might have tended the park or policies around a house in a landed estate. If you have him described like that in a census, it will be clearer where he worked and for whom.

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 July 14 17:18 BST (UK) »
He might have tended the park or policies around a house in a landed estate. If you have him described like that in a census, it will be clearer where he worked and for whom.

Thanks. He lived latterly at Craigloun in Carnbee parish, east Fife, and there were certainly several big houses in the area.

Harry

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 July 14 18:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks. He lived latterly at Craigloun in Carnbee parish, east Fife

Could that be Craigtoun rather than Craigloun? Because Craigtoun is a lrge public park.

To me as a child, the park-keeper or 'parkie' generally looked after one of the town parks, and they all did a grand job chasing us children when we infringed the park rules.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 July 14 19:10 BST (UK) »

Could that be Craigtoun rather than Craigloun? Because Craigtoun is a lrge public park.

To me as a child, the park-keeper or 'parkie' generally looked after one of the town parks, and they all did a grand job chasing us children when we infringed the park rules.

No, but when I typed those words I had a little bet with myself that someone would say, don't you mean Craigtoun? Craigloun is a farm in Carnbee parish, just north of the B940, near Pittarthie. Craigtoun, as you say, is a large park, near St. Andrews, and when I was a boy growing up in the East Neuk it housed our local maternity hospital. My eldest sister had 7 children (including twins) in quick succession, and I used to dutifully go and visit her there, in the days when women weren't chucked out of hospital as soon as the baby was born, and they got a few days in bed to recover. I remember joking with her once that I was going to get a season ticket for the place, the way she was going on.

Harry

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 July 14 14:21 BST (UK) »

No, but when I typed those words I had a little bet with myself that someone would say, don't you mean Craigtoun? Craigloun is a farm in Carnbee parish, just north of the B940, near Pittarthie. Craigtoun, as you say, is a large park, near St. Andrews, and when I was a boy growing up in the East Neuk it housed our local maternity hospital. My eldest sister had 7 children (including twins) in quick succession, and I used to dutifully go and visit her there, in the days when women weren't chucked out of hospital as soon as the baby was born, and they got a few days in bed to recover. I remember joking with her once that I was going to get a season ticket for the place, the way she was going on.

Harry

I've never been to Carnbee churchyard but a friend once sent me this photo of my relative James Peebles's headstone there. By zooming in I think I can make out the words "late park keeper Craigloun". Maybe there was some kind of estate there, I don't know. Though brought up in one of the nearby fishing villages I seldom strayed inland so am not acquainted with the landward area.

Harry

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 July 14 14:58 BST (UK) »
Possibly not the same in Scottish English, but in England park keeper was also used to mean gamekeeper. My GGgrandfather was most definitely a gamekeeper, but some records  show his occupation as park keeper.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 14 July 14 18:57 BST (UK) »
The following advert appeared in the Fife Herald on 28-3-1867 and again on 4-4-1867:

PITTARTHIE AND CRAIGLOON
GRASS PARKS.

THERE will be LET, by Private Bargain,
Ten Enclosures of the PITTARTHIE and
CRAIGLOON GRASS PARKS, for the ensuing Season.
The Parks to be Let will be pointed out by James
Peebles, Park-Keeper, Craigloon.
Sealed Offers may be lodged with PHILIP OLIPHANT,
Writer, Anstruther, on or before the 15TH Day of APRIL
next.
Anstruther, 26th March 1867.

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 14 July 14 19:31 BST (UK) »
Excellent, GR2, thank you very much for that. Presumably the enclosed fields were to be let for grazing.

Harry