Author Topic: What is this man's name?  (Read 2149 times)

Offline Dalum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: What is this man's name?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 15 July 14 01:37 BST (UK) »
It seems to me that the whole of the entry is in the same hand. So not an original signature.

Hugh
Sheffield look-ups, Cemeteries etc

UK census data is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 15 July 14 03:31 BST (UK) »
It seems to me that most of the entry is in the same hand, save for some of the signatures which appear on the right hand page. The bride may have made her mark (faint cross after her name) but it looks to me as though John did sign in a hand different from that shown elsewhere.  In this instance his surname appears to me to have been rendered Plowgs.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 15 July 14 06:28 BST (UK) »
.. it looks to me as though John did sign in a hand different from that shown elsewhere.  In this instance his surname appears to me to have been rendered Plowgs.

Agree. I believe John signed his own name. The letter formation is quite different from the rest of the writing - J, P and g in particular.   :)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 15 July 14 08:21 BST (UK) »
There are a great many John Pluse in that part of the world at the right time. I think the clerk probably heard Pluse as Ploughs (they would be pronounced identically) and wrote it down, then John had a go at copying it out.

mike

The different spellings and pronunciations reminded me of a pal of mine back in the early 1950s. He was the son of two teachers and at fifteen years old was really excited that he'd got a permanent job offer working on a farm several miles north of our home town.  This entailed that he lived on the farm.    A month later he arrived back home with a totally different accent/dialect and enthusiastically recounted his daily chores of milking the coos (cows).  I'll always remember his beaming face as he put his hand into his pocket and invited us to look at the shiny half croon he'd been given for the last week's wage.  [half a croon (half a crown) now being 12.1/2 new pence]. ;D
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline barrymore23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 15 July 14 13:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you all very much. It seems the PLUSE name is the best bet for his "real" name regardless of how he signed and I will spend time following a number of the leads you have given me. By the way the name remained PLOUGHS for all the subsequent generations

Thanks again

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 15 July 14 13:49 BST (UK) »

The different spellings and pronunciations reminded me of a pal of mine back in the early 1950s. He was the son of two teachers and at fifteen years old was really excited that he'd got a permanent job offer working on a farm several miles north of our home town.  This entailed that he lived on the farm.    A month later he arrived back home with a totally different accent/dialect and enthusiastically recounted his daily chores of milking the coos (cows).  I'll always remember his beaming face as he put his hand into his pocket and invited us to look at the shiny half croon he'd been given for the last week's wage.  [half a croon (half a crown) now being 12.1/2 new pence]. ;D

Nice story! I had a similar experience in reverse when, as a teenager, I first went to do some conservation fencing work down in the south of England. Because the work was new to me, I soon learned names of new tools and materials - mells, monkey-strainers, pinchbars etc. Everyone had strange southern accents. Once I was asked to go across the site to the man in charge of tools to fetch a nemmer. I had no idea what a nemmer was, and assumed it was just another new word for me. When i got there, and asked for a nemmer, I was (of course) given a hammer!

Mike

Offline Dalum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 15 July 14 14:53 BST (UK) »
Sorry, my previous comment was based on a misunderstanding of the lay-out.  ;D
Sheffield look-ups, Cemeteries etc

UK census data is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk