Author Topic: Re: Durham Wills  (Read 1449 times)

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Durham Wills
« on: Tuesday 15 July 14 10:11 BST (UK) »
Diocese of Durham Original Wills, 1650-1857, Durham Probate Bonds, 1556-1858,  Durham Probate Commissions, Monitions and Citations, 1650-1858, Durham, Dean and Chapter of Durham's Allerton and Allertonshire Original Wills, Inventories and Bonds, 1666-1845, are now available on FamilySearch https://familysearch.org/search/collection/list?page=1&region=UNITED_KINGDOM_IRELAND
See The North East Inheritance Database Index to get the reference required
http://familyrecords.dur.ac.uk/nei/data/intro.php
Stan

Thanks for the tip Stan :)

Hopefully it will be a great resource if they can get the reference number scrolling to function. It won't scroll at all on the ipad and on the laptop it has taken over 15 minutes and I still cannot hit on the reference I am looking for. Did it work ok when you tried?
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Durham Wills
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 July 14 10:16 BST (UK) »
I still cannot hit on the reference I am looking for.

There are many gaps in the record - no doubt more will be uploaded in time

See discussion here
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=674174.msg5360130#msg5360130

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Durham Wills
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 July 14 10:21 BST (UK) »
I cannot get close enough to determine if there is a gap JenB.
It took me 20 minutes to scroll down to near the end and unfortunately I went too far. Ended up in 1857 when I was looking for 1856. Spent another 10 minutes trying to scroll back up and am still in 1857 so this one is going to have to go on the list for follow up in the future when they get it to work :)
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 July 14 10:27 BST (UK) »
OK. I found the tip in the other thread about using Ctrl-F to find the reference. Getting closer, but now it is hanging on opening. Getting an error message that familysearch is not responding due to a long running script. Maybe they are just having a problem with the server that this collection is on.

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 July 14 10:33 BST (UK) »
Finally got into the will. Took another 5 minutes to open after I found the right reference. Conclusion: Very useful resource, but requires a great deal of patience.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 July 14 10:46 BST (UK) »
Finally got into the will. Took another 5 minutes to open after I found the right reference. Conclusion: Very useful resource, but requires a great deal of patience.

I'm having no problems (apart from the gaps in the record).  The list takes a couple of minutes to load. After that I use 'find' to get to the year I'm interested in.

I've found and looked at several wills already this morning. They have opened very quickly.

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 July 14 11:08 BST (UK) »
Hi

They have now added a useful page with links to the digital images on the North East Inheritance project site. It also contains some good explanations of the different records. Interestingly it states that the probate commissions, monitions and citations set  DPR 1/5 is not included in the online catalogue ... and there are no current plans to do so. Moreover the reg copies of wills DPR  1/2  (included in catalogue) and probate act books DPR 1/4 (not indexed) have also been digitised. So there is perhaps more to come!

I have found that the tip of using Ctrl-F has worked really well. My problem is how few of my ag labs and miners actually left a will!

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)