Author Topic: What is John Swindel(l)s occupation  (Read 926 times)

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
What is John Swindel(l)s occupation
« on: Tuesday 15 July 14 22:27 BST (UK) »
It looks like Cue maker or something similar, does not help that there is a line through it
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What is John Swindel(l)s occupation
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 July 14 04:11 BST (UK) »
Maybe a Cive Maker??   A version of sieve maker?

Kay

Offline Suffolkgal

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 July 14 21:47 BST (UK) »
Haxell - Suffolk

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 July 14 22:36 BST (UK) »
Sieves it is, Stonechat and Kay.

A search on the word Cive on Access to Archives (A2A) brings up this reference:

DD/E/146/40  19 March 1769

Wm. {William?} Parker for £1. 7s. 11d. Sieves and riddles bottoming; nine hundred and a half of plants 6s. 4d. Endorsed: Paid the Cive bottomer and osier man Parker £1. 12s..

[Nottinghamshire Archives, Edge of Strelley]

Since an osier man is mentioned the sieves are woven willow rather than wire mesh.

Currently A2A is here:
http://apps.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/advanced-search.aspx?tab=1

But a note on the site states, "This data will soon be incorporated into Discovery, the only place to access descriptions of records held by The National Archives and thousands of archives around the UK."

A2A has been one of my favourite sites for years. I have found all sorts of helpful clues and information there. It is especially useful for research prior to the Census and Civil Registration era.

Venelow

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 July 14 10:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks
I think TNA has already made the change, I have been getting A2A results in the Discovery catalogue searches.
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire

Offline clayton bradley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 July 14 22:29 BST (UK) »
John Swindells and Sarah Hadfield are in my husband's tree. They had a son named John who married Mary Dearnley. John senior was baptized at Mottram as John son of John Swindells of Godley 18 jun 1747 and his brother Thomas 1750. I also have an apprentice record from 12 nov 1722 Godley Thomas Swindells of Godley siffemaker, apprentice John Swindells poor child. I think this means that John who married Sarah is  the son of the apprentice. What do you think? I have been trying to connect this John to the earlier Swindells of Godley, yeomanry who came down in the world, for some time. I also have a will by William Swindels  the elder of Godley in 1674. There are details of the Godley property on line. I would be glad to discuss this family, claytonbradley
Broadley (Lancs all dates and Halifax bef 1654)

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 18 July 14 22:54 BST (UK) »
I will reply by pm
I am descended from their daughter Sall(e)y, who married John James Shaw (edited)
This has been a difficult line, I have found children baptised at Hyde Presbyterian, in the period when they gave the mother's parents.
Busy weekend ahead so will reply when I can