Author Topic: Where in the World am I from?  (Read 8889 times)

Offline JWKanney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Where in the World am I from?
« on: Wednesday 16 July 14 17:05 BST (UK) »
Hello All,

My name is JW Kanney and I'm from America. I've been doing some research on my genealogy and I've run into a snag. I've found my Great (x3 or 4) Grandfathers gravesite; his name was Charles Kanney. On his tombstone is written "Born in Ireland" but with no date although it says he died in 1926. I'm finding it tough to locate any Kanney's in Ireland and I'm wondering if perhaps his surname was different when he was born.

Any tips on how I should proceed from this point would be greatly appreciated.
Kanney/Kinney/Kenney/Kenny

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where in the World am I from?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 July 14 17:10 BST (UK) »
Hello and welcome  :)

It may be a variation of Kenny /Kearney / Carney.

Do you have your ancestor in censuses? That would give you an approximate year of birth and maybe immigration date plus any family members.

Regards
Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 July 14 17:12 BST (UK) »
Trying to locate his marriage record might also help. Was his wife buried with him? Can you also tell us where he was buried?
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline JWKanney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 July 14 17:16 BST (UK) »
That's just it. I can't find any immigration records with his name listed. He is burried next to two other Kanney's that were married alongside their small child. On the childs gravestone it lists the parents last name as Kenney with an "e." I found that to be odd, but no one in my family knows if by chance our last name used to be "Ke" instead of "Ka." I just feel as though I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. Other than his gravestone, I have nothing proving his existance.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 July 14 17:19 BST (UK) »
As I said, what about census?
Presumably he had a child for you to be here  :) so is s/he in 1910 or 1920?

Offline JWKanney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 July 14 17:24 BST (UK) »
I've yet to find him in any census. I was just able to find him on Ancestry due to the fact that others found him before I did. He was eventually married in Virginia, and of course had children. That's about all the info I could find on him.

One of my relatives mentioned that they found his Fathers name which is Patrick. But then again, I can't find any record of a Patrick Kanney in Ireland, or anywhere on the genealogy sites I've visited.

Thanks.

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 July 14 17:25 BST (UK) »
You must have had some information to find his grave. Tell us what you know about his children and in particular the one that is your ancestor.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline JWKanney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 July 14 17:33 BST (UK) »
My mother told me about his gravesite and she knows less than I do about our family. I'm not sure how she found out about it. Charles had a son named Grover which was my fathers own name. My father was the third or forth "Grover" in the bunch. I'm just glad they stopped the name Grover when I came along. :)

Very little info can I get from those still living, it's as though the Kanney's are a mystery. I'm beginning to fear I may be of German descent. Ha! :)

I'm still waiting to hear from my Aunt. She may have more info, but it doesn't look hopeful.

Thanks for your help though.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 16 July 14 17:38 BST (UK) »