Author Topic: Help on Death Extract Please  (Read 1900 times)

Offline ThommoS

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help on Death Extract Please
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 19 July 14 02:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks all for your suggestions....it's food for thought

I am also tending to think the first letter may indeed be a badly written "E" but who knows  ???

Will now try it from another aspect and see if I can trace it from one of the two daughters mentioned but on initial searching through the Victorian records there is a reference to a Louisa who matches closely and referred to herself as a "HENSLEY"......similar mother's details.

Am yet to obtain her certificates at this stage. Only problem being she is listed as being born in Victoria, not Tasmania where the mother was assumed to have married....again, the age factor is not credible

Certainly not saying it is the same person at this stage and further research is needed, but John's surname doesn't look like HENSLEY to me......Bearing in mind the informant was the grand daughter of the deceased, then she may not have been aware of the actual name spelling of her grand mothers first husband other than what she had heard and it may have been recorded as ENSLEY..... ??? Just doesn't look like ENSLEY to me... ?

Yes, it's not clear cut unfortunately and there are lots of avenues to pursue so will keep looking....thank you all so much for your suggestions, it's greatly appreciated

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 19 July 14 08:09 BST (UK) »
it may have been recorded as ENSLEY..... ??? Just doesn't look like ENSLEY to me... ?

It could be ENSLEY. Will put up an enlarged snip below.

Gadget

Added - enlargement attached - compare the 's'  and 'n' in Tasmania and the surname.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 19 July 14 08:34 BST (UK) »
I think it does look like Ensley now you have mentioned it and looked at Gadget's enlargement.  I would pursue the Hensley/Ensley possibility for more clues.
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 19 July 14 14:52 BST (UK) »
Following everyone's suggestions, a little here that might help:

Louisa Harris arrived Tasmania on the ship Harmony. She married James Holland. There are 2 known children. Mary Ann (possible child to James Holland) and Charles Fox Holland. Any info on James Holland. He was stated as ‘Free’ when he married Louisa.
Apparently the child mary ann listed above married a John Hensley(in Tas?) He died after a child Louisa Hensley was born.
Louisa Harris/Holland(convict), daughter Mary Ann(mrs Hensley)and Louisa hensley, and son charles fox holland resided in victoria. Any info on the above family of Holland and Hensley appreciated.—chez

www.convictrecords.com.au/convicts/harris/louisa/80474
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ThommoS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 20 July 14 02:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks MonikaL - am aware of that and similar postings such as Ancestry et al., but as with other work, have generally found often those references are erroneous and include basic errors - subsequent postings by others show the same errors which to me indicates additional researchers not doing their homework and plagiarizing others material - but that's another topic and comprehensively discussed elsewhere ! ;D

Think the interest from a convict perspective draws many to align with the research posted on Mary's family without discourse to their own checking of the available facts...

I am working through available material at this stage - hence this query to identify who John actually was from her Death Certificate and appreciate the assistance given so far.....

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 20 July 14 22:53 BST (UK) »
ThommoS, I am all about sources and verifications  ::) It was just an additonal suggested source of info with everyones hard work here on Mary Ann's death cert reg...I agree with Gadget (always do  ;D) and Emsley on the cert.

I never knock what is available online. Granted there are inaccuracies along the way. Often though, with certain lines and lots of people looking, enough people look at sources and records...and quote them.

There are a number of online sources online for this family line which include sources and images to try and verify.

Wish every luck and energy in confirming what you need now.

Monica  :)

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gennig

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 23 July 14 03:55 BST (UK) »
Hi ThommoS

I would say it's ENSLEY. Death certificates can be helpful but also problematic.  On looking at the information given, I wonder if maybe the grand daughter was misinformed.
Assuming that the length of time written in each state is accurate, then the Hobart marriage would have taken place circa 1853 when the deceased was 14. 
I note that only a few of the births were registered and both have different surnames for the mother Henry's is HENSLEY and Richard's has HOLLAND.  Have you got any of the birth certificates?
Who was the informant on them? What date was given for the marriage? 
cheers
gennig

All census look up transcriptions are Crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Surnames:
Armstrong, Gray, Greco, Lambden, Le Busque, Beaton, Carron, Pitt, Gould
Areas:
Victoria, Tasmania, Hampshire, Berkshire, Yorkshire, Fermanagh, Glamorgan

Offline ThommoS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 25 July 14 03:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks gennig

I have Whitford's death certificate which doesn't say much other than he and Mary had 7 children - am in the process of working through them with the two certificates.

All up she had some 9 children but it's the one's from Hensley that are proving difficult to find....

References in Ancestry say that Louisa was born in Craigie on 9/11/1854 but there is no reference source for that on Ancestry nor in the Vic Birth records which I could find either in 1854 or 1855 under either Hensley or derivatives and likewise with the place or it's nearest towns.

Equally references on Ancestry show Whitford married Holland on 4/7/1855 in Vic but equally there is no reference in the Vic DMD's for that.... ?

So have no idea where the different information sources on the Ancestry Family trees came from nor their accuracy as they have not mentioned their sources - have attempted to contact the OP's, but their links are inactive......

There is a later official reference to a Louisa Hensley marrying Williams in 1884/1561 (Vic Marriages) but am yet to obtain that for confirmation of her parents if indeed it is her - I doubt it will say much though

Hope that explains where the mystery is currently at  ;D