Author Topic: Isabella Duncan nee Stewart, Drumclamph  (Read 3722 times)

Offline apthorpea

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Isabella Duncan nee Stewart, Drumclamph
« on: Friday 18 July 14 07:40 BST (UK) »
I am researching my grandmothers ancestors who lived & owned  a farm in Drumclamp. Her father John (Gerard) Stewart born 1864 on the farm, he can be found in the 1901 census as married, the wife is not at home, at that time he was living with 2 sisters, a brother & a nephew, he is in the 1911 census with his 4 children and a servant Elizabeth Duncan and this time he is widowed.  My grandmothers birth certificate Mary Kathleen, b1904 her mothers name is Isabella Duncan, her sisters Margaret 1906, birth certificate the mothers name is Elizabeth Duncan. After searching the records I can find no evidence of either an Isabella Duncan or an Elizabeth Duncan.  There was  another son Charles Stewart born after 1911. In my grandmother' bible it quotes John and Isabell’s family  married 14th January 1899 - Mary Kathleen, Margaret Jane, John, Ellena Rebecca, Charles. Ellena known as Rebecca died in 1917 with diphtheria. I can find evidence of Stewarts living at Drumclamph but nothing of John's wife/s.  In the census it states that they were Church of Ireland, there is a Church of Ireland church at Crew Bridge, I believe close to where the farm was.  Margaret Gourley and Charles Stewart, parents of John's Stewarts were married in a presbyterian
church in Donegal. They had 9 children. Any information on the Stewart family especially John's wife would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you
Stewart, Reilly, Montgomery, Cheshire, Lyttle, Rankin, Apthorpe, Hart, Anderson,  Gourley

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline glensman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Isabella Duncan nee Stewart, Drumclamph
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 July 14 19:18 BST (UK) »
I wonder if this could be Isabella in the 1901 census:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000645408/

If so you should also look at the will of Arthur Duncan on the PRONI site - died 1896:

http://applications.proni.gov.uk/DCAL_PRONI_WillsCalendar/WillsSearchImage.aspx?id=216267

Also the will of Margaret Stewart is on the PRONI site - died 1899:

http://applications.proni.gov.uk/DCAL_PRONI_WillsCalendar/willsSearchResultsDetails.aspx

Offline glensman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 July 14 19:24 BST (UK) »
I should also have posted this link to the census for Isabella to give you the location:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Donegal/Cavangarden/Derries/1165316/

Offline glensman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 July 14 20:02 BST (UK) »
On further examination, I think that I have not got the right Isabella since she appears to be married to Robert.  Sorry about that.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 July 14 21:26 BST (UK) »
there are a few lizzie Duncan's on the census.

Offline apthorpea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 19 July 14 10:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the information, below is what sources I have on John Stewart, my great grandfather
Ireland, Civil Registration Births Index, 1864-19581 citation provides evidence for Name, Birth
@Web: Ireland, Census, 19011 citation provides evidence for Name, Birth, Residence
@Web: Ireland, Census, 19111 citation provides evidence for Name, Birth, Residence
@Web: Northern Ireland, Will Calendar Index, 1839-19431 citation provides evidence for Name,
 Death
which gave me his death certificateRegistration details
Registration number       D/1933/6/1010/16/207
Registration district       Castlederg(pre-1973 Q4)
Registration sub-district       Castlederg
Deceased details
Surname of deceased       Stewart
Forename(s) of deceased       John
Other forename(s) of deceased    Gerald
Sex of deceased          Male
Marital status of deceased       Married
Date of death          15th September 1933
Age at death             70
Place of death
District of death          Castlederg(pre-1973 Q4)

Present at his death was Maggie Stewart one of his daughters, although he says he is married, no mention of this illusive wife.

There is a mention of a death of an Elizabeth Stewart on 25 May 1935, aged 80 Reg, No.
D/1935/6/1010/16/326  the evidence it may provide is that the person who was present at her death was J Stewart, son, she died at  Coolnaerunaght ? 
On my grandmothers birth certificate, Mary Kathleen  was born at Tullydoortans 1904, and present at her birth was Margaret Duncan, I thought she may be Isabella's mother.  The only Margaret Duncan I found on the 1901 census had a married daughter called Bella Leckey, so I thought unlikely she is going to have 2 daughters with similar names.
Its interesting but confusing.

The will you mention, of Margaret Stewart, gave me the names of two further younger siblings of John's, Susan and Sarah.  I also got from a family tree in My ancesters  further evidence of 3 older children,  Isabella, Mary and Charles.  Mary and Charles died in their 20s'.  Thanks again

Angela
Stewart, Reilly, Montgomery, Cheshire, Lyttle, Rankin, Apthorpe, Hart, Anderson,  Gourley