Author Topic: Robert James Walker Gateshead circa 1929  (Read 3586 times)

Offline Nairda

• RootsChat Extra
  • its not the critic who counts
    • View Profile
Robert James Walker Gateshead circa 1929
« on: Saturday 19 July 14 19:28 BST (UK) »
I have a grand uncle Robert James Walker born 28/02/1892, Tullylish, Co Down, who was living at Rectory Rd, Gateshead on Tyne in 1929 when he received his great war medals for service in Irish Guards.  Have most of his Irish side up to 1909 when he joined the army. Would appreciate any help with his Gateshead, Durham ancestors.
Walker family Tullylish, Co Down and Terryhoogan. Co Armagh.  Conolly family Tullylish.  Bell family Rathfriland, Co Down

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert James Walker Gateshead circa 1929
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 July 14 19:31 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Could you give us any names, year of birth and any other info you have of the 'Gateshead' family that you are looking for please?

JJ

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 July 14 19:36 BST (UK) »
Are you looking for his children or do you think that some of his ancestors also came over to Gateshead from Ireland?
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Nairda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 July 14 19:46 BST (UK) »
Have just recently discovered the Gateshead connection through a Medal Index Card.  He was wounded and discharged in 1919 and had applied for additional clasp and rose for his medals from Gatehead address in 1929. Unfortunately I don't have any other family details of Gateshead connection.  I assume he married and had family there.  That would be the links that interest me.  Or any help in the right direction,thanks
Walker family Tullylish, Co Down and Terryhoogan. Co Armagh.  Conolly family Tullylish.  Bell family Rathfriland, Co Down

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 July 14 19:57 BST (UK) »
The only marriages I can find for a Robert James Walker in County Durham are in 1899 and 1900 so they are too early for your man. I cannot find a death in the Gateshead area that fits with your man either.  Are you sure that the Gateshead chap is your Robert James Walker?
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Nairda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 19 July 14 20:09 BST (UK) »
I am as certain as I can be.  I have him on the Ireland census of 1901at Tullylish, then English census as a Guardsman in 1st Irish Guards with birthplace as Tullylish. The age data fits.  The Gateshead address is from his Medal Index Card.

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 19 July 14 20:10 BST (UK) »
Perhaps the address where his medals were forwarded to was his 'lodging house' and therefore no real connection to Gateshead. Have you checked for a death in Ireland?

JJ

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 19 July 14 20:17 BST (UK) »
May I suggest that you contact Gateshead Libraries -

libraries@gateshead.gov.uk
Gateshead Central Library
Prince Consort Road, Gateshead, NE8 4LN
Tel: 0191 433 8430
http://www.localhistorygateshead.com

They may be able to advise you on the Gateshead electoral register for 86 Rectory Road in 1929.

JJ

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 19 July 14 20:27 BST (UK) »
OK, I am clearly misunderstanding something here as I cannot find him in an English census. Can you give us the census reference where you found him in Gateshead so we have a starting point for further research?