Author Topic: Re: Records lookup South Africa --- Offer  (Read 464 times)

Offline Jemilla

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Records lookup South Africa --- Offer
« on: Wednesday 06 March 13 13:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I really need help with finding out more about my partners SA history. We've started researching his family history and plan on taking information back to SA when we next see his grandparents.

He was born in Durban, as was his grandmother Dulcie Carlson. Her parents were: Carl Frederick Tingsted (later changed to Carlson) and Charlotte Harrison. I know they lived on Brand Road, Durban as Dulcie was born there. Carl was a Swede and was born in Sweden. I read somewhere that a lot of Swede's in SA at the 1900's were missionaries - is this very likely? Charlotte Harrison was born in Durban. It's a very English surname so I am wondering if her parents moved there?

His grandfather's parents were:
Johannes Martinus Delport and Mary Kathleen (maiden surname unknown). Johannes came from the first De la Portes on the Cattendyk after feeling persecution in France. Johannes was born in the Free State.

One of his granddad's grandma's was English, but his granddad isn't sure which. I also know that the Delports were farmers and were caught up in the Boer War. Mary Kathleen was born in Durban.

This is as far as we know, I have tried using the national archives of sa for research but I struggle to get my head around it.

Any help, connections, links, advice you can give us would be extremely appreciated.

Best wishes, Jemilla

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Records lookup South Africa --- Offer
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 March 13 16:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jemilla

I see that you have made a duplicate post on the SA board here

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,638565.0.html

As ukmilo doesn't seem to have replied on here to any of these requests I suggest if anyone does have information for you they post on the other topic.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea