Author Topic: Sunderland near the Sea, monumental inscriptions  (Read 5966 times)

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sunderland near the Sea, monumental inscriptions
« on: Monday 21 July 14 19:01 BST (UK) »
I am looking for a monumental inscription for Hugh Miller.  He was married to Elizabeth Taylor in Sunderland in 1796 and had a daughter Mary Ann who was married from Sunderland in 1819.  The Newcastle Magazine for 1825 reported his death as follows:

At Lancaster, Mr Hugh Miller of Sunderland, spirit merchant aged 69.

I'm assuming he was away on holiday/business and would have been buried back in Sunderland.
Many thanks.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sunderland near the Sea, monumental inscriptions
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 July 14 19:39 BST (UK) »
There is what appears to be a burial record for him at the High Street Independent Chapel in Lancaster:

May 21 1825, Hugh Miller aged 69, Common Brewer of Sunderland.

The grave reference is given as 165. J5. 195, which looks like it may have been a common grave as it isn't unique to Hugh Miller, but this has then been crossed out and the words "removed to Caton" added.

MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 July 14 20:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for that.  Very intriguing.  It looks as if he was temporarily "parked" and then moved to Caton in Lancashire... but why Caton?  Maybe he had a child living there and was visiting.  I'm desperate to find his stone in case it mentions his parents.  I believe him to be Scottish, the son of William Miller and Elizabeth Cummings of Knockando but can't prove it yet.  Thanks for your interest.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 July 14 20:48 BST (UK) »
Ah, well Im not sure if this helps or hinders then.  The Lancaster Gazette for 21 May 1825 has a death notice as follows:

"On Tuesday last suddenly, in this town, Hugh Miller of Wrexham, Father-in-Law to the Rev S Bell of this town"

On then on 4th June 1825 in the Durham County Advertiser:

"At Lancaster on the 17th Ult, while on a visit to his daughter, Mr Hugh Miller of Sunderland, Spirit Merchant aged 69"

In 1820 there are various notices about Hugh Miller selling his property / properties but I haven't had a chance to properly read them and have to dash off now for half an hour or so.  If no one else posts I will add them a bit later.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 July 14 21:16 BST (UK) »
Definite clarification.  I have the Newcastle Magazine of 24th Aug 1819

Marriage:  At Sunderland, the Rev S Bell of the Independent Chapel Wrexham, to Miss Mary Ann Miller daughter of Mr Hugh Miller of Sunderland, spirit merchant.

Thank you very much.  I'm hopeless at English records, Scottish are my thing, and I've been flapping around for ages trying to work out whether this Hugh Miller is one of 3 Miller brothers, Hugh, John and Charles (my 4xG Grandfather) who came down from the Highlands in the late 18thC.  I was hoping an MI might sort it out!

Online angelfish58

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grandma & Grandad married 23 Aug 1918
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 11:17 BST (UK) »
Does this help at all?
From the Newcastle Courant 13 Aug 1796: "The partnership of John Miller, late of Keeper? deceased and Charles and Hugh Miller of Sunderland, brick makers and wine and spirit merchants having in the month of December last been dissolved by mutual consent......" there's more if you want it but that's the interesting bit.
Watson, Snowball, Pyburn, Heppell, Ferry, Holmes, Clennett, Kidd, Pescod, Bage Co.Duham & Northumberland
Stockton, Watson, Bage, Nellist N. Yorks
Challnor/Challoner Cheshire/Shropshire. Moore, Mansell: Wellington, Shropshire
Davies/ David, Coity, Glamorgan
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 19:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much.  That is wonderful.  It confirms that the three brothers were there (which I'd got from the Kirk Session records in Knockando, Morayshire referring to a James Grant who had been working for the Miller brothers in Sunderland, South Britain - I got the three brothers' names from their parents' gravestone) and that the Hugh Miller spirit merchant is my Charles Miller's brother.  I'd been wondering what he'd been doing down south. 

I hate to trouble you further but I really struggle with English records.  Is there any reference to a marriage or death for Charles Miller?  The gravestone says sons John, Charles and Hugh and I'm assuming that is the age order.  Hugh died in 1825 aged 69 so that makes him born about 1756.  Their parents were William Miller 1719 - 1794 and Elizabeth Cumming 1716 - 1788 of Nether Tomdow in Knockando.

Thank you so much for what you've unearthed to date.  It's the first real progress I've had on this for ages.

Online angelfish58

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 21:20 BST (UK) »
You're very welcome. I've had a look on www.durhamrecordsonline.com but there's no marriage or childrens baptisms, for Charles in Sunderland but there's a possible burial in 1817 of a Charles Millar of Whitburn born approx 1754.

Hugh married at Holy Trinity in Sunderland on 7 Feb 1796 to Elizabeth Taylor by licence, which can be seen on FamilySearch at http://tinyurl.com/p4h5rm6 (and the image following).

Hugh and Elizabeth had four children baptised at the Robinsons Lane Meeting House (Presbyterian (Scotch)) in Sunderland, Margaret in 1797, Elizabeth in 1798, John Thomas in 1800 and Thomas in 1802. This looks like a second marriage.
There's a 1777 burial for a James Miller of North Britain (Scotland) in Sunderland, I wonder if he's one of yours or just a coincidence as there are a lot of Millers.

Hugh left a Will (Charles didn't) it will be on FamilySearch it's ref DPRI/1/1829/M14 I'll see if I can post a link for you.
Watson, Snowball, Pyburn, Heppell, Ferry, Holmes, Clennett, Kidd, Pescod, Bage Co.Duham & Northumberland

Online angelfish58

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 21:37 BST (UK) »
Here's the link http://tinyurl.com/lhor6oj It might not be a second marriage for Hugh, as there was no baptism in Sunderland for Mary Ann I assumed she was baptised elsewhere but the codicil explains Mary Ann.

I should've said that Charles didn't have a Will proved at Durham, there may be one elsewhere.