Author Topic: Blundon  (Read 837 times)

Offline HilaryBl

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Blundon
« on: Monday 21 July 14 21:10 BST (UK) »
Hello All.

My name is Hilary Blundon I am a Shoal Harbor Blundon. I am trying to find out 1 when did we come to Newfoundland and from where and when did the spelling change and from what. I have found so many spellings but am unsure of which one is the one that got changed to the "don" ending. If anyone can help that would be great.

Thanks
Hilary Blundon

Offline JDC

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Passed away 26th June 2022.
    • View Profile
Re: Blundon
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 July 14 15:49 BST (UK) »
Good morning Hilary,

I don't know Newfoundland very well but have you tried the provincial archives to locate a passenger list for your Blundon ancestor? As for the name change - was it legally changed? If so, there should be some legal documents around that should give you your answer. If it wasn't done that way, your best bet I would think is contacting the eldest family members to see if they know.

Hope that helps,

JDC
Carpenter - B'ham Warwick,
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Langmaid - Cornwall & Hants
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Blundon
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 July 14 16:49 BST (UK) »
Hello Hilary and a warm welcome to RootsChat  :).

Have you checked out the RootsChat Newfoundland Resources section at this link?

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=219420.0

A quick look in parish records indicates there were 2 Blundon marriages in 1844 in Catalina, Trinity Bay, which is in the general area you are looking at, so it looks like a presence at least that early. I will leave it to you to continue through the records. I was looking in this website from the resources list ....

http://ngb.chebucto.org/index.html

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada