Author Topic: Alfred Miller Liverpool b.1859  (Read 4848 times)

Offline Anniel

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Alfred Miller Liverpool b.1859
« on: Tuesday 22 July 14 07:06 BST (UK) »
One of my relatives have posted before about Alfred Miller. He was born in February 1859 and baptised in St.Peter's Church Liverpool on May 16th 1859. However, I am unable to find any official record of his birth, although I understand all births after 1837 had to be registered.

I do have a birth cert. for his sister, Susan Alice Miller and his brother Walter. Can anyone suggest any other way of finding the official record of his birth? I really am interested in his parents John Miller and Susan Stannard. This couple seem remiss as we have no record of their marriage or of Alfred's birth.

I would be grateful for any advice and comments as I have reached a brick wall with my Miller ancestors and have only got back as far as the 1850s with definitive information.

Thanks

Anniel

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alfred Miller Liverpool b.1859
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 07:28 BST (UK) »
Registration of births was not compulsory until, I think, 1874.  :-\

However, have you considered the Alfred Miller registered in June quarter 1859 in Prescot Registration District, 8b, page 489?

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 07:35 BST (UK) »
The suggestion from BumbleB is worth a closer look. I would also consider whether the couple may have been elsewhere at the time of Alfredīs birth so I would not rule out births in the right timeframe but another location. This could explain the delay before the baptism if he was born elsewhere and they waited till they returned home to christen him.

Where were the two siblings registered and when were they born?
Have you found the family in 1861?
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 07:51 BST (UK) »
However, have you considered the Alfred Miller registered in June quarter 1859 in Prescot Registration District, 8b, page 489?

Yes I think so too. It ties in with his baptism on Lancs opc .....born 15 Feb 1859
www.lan-opc.org.uk/
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 07:53 BST (UK) »
1861, the family are living at 8 Tenterden Street (Tenterden Arms, Beerhouse), which is the same street shown on Alfred's baptism entry.  Elder brother William is said to be born West Derby, Alfred said to be born Liverpool.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 09:19 BST (UK) »
Baptism: 16 May 1859 St Peter, Liverpool, Lancashire, England
Alfred Miller - [Child] of John Miller & Susan
    Born: 15 Feb 1859
    Abode: Tenterden St
    Baptised by: W. H. Denny Curate

Bumble B - where does it say John and Susan were born in 1861 census
added - is she the one aged 28 b Scotland 1833( in St Martin in the Fields,Liverpool in 1861 )
if so - maybe the marriage to John Miller is in Scotland and that is why we can`t find it on freebmd ?
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 09:21 BST (UK) »
John was from Devon and Susan from Suffolk.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 09:28 BST (UK) »
John was from Devon and Susan from Suffolk.

OK thanks Craclyn ...so not the Scotland born Susan ...so we should be able to find the marriage on BMD ?
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Anniel

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 09:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your prompt and helpful replies. I had considered the birth in Prescot. I confess that I dropped the idea because Alfred was born in the first quarter of the year and the birth in Prescot was not registered until the April-June quarter. I can see now that I was wrong to dismiss the Prescot birth as that area is not so far from Liverpool. I should have realised that the fact that Alfred was not christened until May ties in with him being born in Prescot.I am currently in Australia but will return to UK next month, so I will get the Prescot birth cert. and see where that leads. I have Susan Alice's birth cert. with me and her birth was registered in Liverpool. Unfortunately, i do not have Williams record to hand.

Given the problems that I have encountered with the parents, i was probably bring overly careful over Alfred's birth.

The father, John Miller ( such a common name) gave his birthplace differently on censuses. He gave Lambeth Surrey, Plymouth,Devon and Liverpool. I assume that the enumerator heard Lambeth when John had said Plymouth or vice versa. I just cannot find hard evidence of where he was born c.1827.

I know his wife was Susan Stannard as that is shown on the birth certificates of their children.

I just want to explain that my Miller family is a nightmare once I get back to Alfred's parents.

Thanks and grateful for any ideas.

Anniel