Author Topic: Hi Everyone, I'm New to Rootschat!  (Read 1485 times)

Offline Jolene1987

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hi Everyone, I'm New to Rootschat!
« on: Tuesday 22 July 14 12:31 BST (UK) »
Hi

Just wanted to say hello to everyone as I have just set up my account on here.  I have been studying my family history for a while now but as you all know it’s a learning process and not as easy as I thought it would be!  I am mainly researching my g-grandmother Martha Black from Belfast and her family.  So much fun but wish it wasn’t so frustrating at times.

Anyway just thought I would introduce myself!
Black, Dunlop, Pritchard, Todd, Kelso, Hamilton, McGarry (all Belfast based)

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Francis McNab 1874 - 1932
    • View Profile
Re: Hi Everyone, I'm New to Rootschat!
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 12:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Always4ever,

Welcome to Rootschat!  I hope that you will get as much enjoyment from Rootschat as I have over the past few years.  Rootschatters are generally a very, very helpful bunch of people, so if you come up with specific problems, there is usually someone who has really good knowledge to share with you.

My family are mostly Scottish, so don't have much Irish research experience, but have some Northern Ireland connections of the mid 1800's.  Have you found your Martha Black in the 1901 or 1911 Irish census?  Are there specific issues about Martha you are looking for?  Good luck in your search.
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 12:58 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat!

Irish research can be a challenge. Do you have research interests anywhere else?

Have a good look around this site - it can take a while to get used to it, but if you get stuck there are plenty of people happy to help you.

Let us know if you need any help with your research - just post your questions on the appropriate boards.

Offline Jolene1987

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 14:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you. 

Yeah it is interesting esp as alot of the research was destroyed but I'm getting there.  I have info on her siblings, parents and even grandfather so I'm doing ok - just trying to fill in the gaps in my research - took me too long to sign up here. :)

Black, Dunlop, Pritchard, Todd, Kelso, Hamilton, McGarry (all Belfast based)

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 14:42 BST (UK) »
Folks on the Antrim board http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?board=51.0 are always happy to try and assist with Belfast/County Antrim research, so do feel free to post there too, if you find yourself in need of local research help. I see you already have  :).
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 18:47 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome from me also I'm sure you will have as much fun on here as the rest of us we are such a happy bunch  :D

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 24 July 14 14:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Jolene1987 and welcome to rootschat ;D
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 24 July 14 15:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Jolene1987, and a very warm welcome from me also, you will love it on here.

Good luck with your research.  :)

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 24 July 14 16:15 BST (UK) »
Hiya!  Welcome to rootschat!